Scale to fit and encrypted file system

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
userX

Scale to fit and encrypted file system

Post by userX »

If I have an encrypted file system, in particular a LUKS encrypted Linux file system, I would suppose that I cannot use the option of either scale to fit or scale to target when doing a restore with IFL if the target drive were not the exact(?) size as the original one. Is that true? Incidentally, what's the difference in these two options? :?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Scale to fit and encrypted file system

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

The file system on the partition(s) has to be accessible to resize it. With encryption that may not even be enough since it may not allow or support the encrypted "area" to change in size (TrueCrypt is an example of this). In general, making changes to the partition structure of an encrypted system is risky since it may render it inaccessible by normal methods.

"Scale to Fit" will ignore unallocated space at the end of the source drive and scale the partitions to fill the destination drive. "Scale to Target" will retain unallocated space at the end of the source drive and scale it along with the partitions.
userX

Post by userX »

Gracias, Paul. :)
userX

Post by userX »

I wanted to inform that I used IFL on a Linux file system with "Scale to Target", and it appears to have succeeded perfectly. After having installed and configured a fully bootable system on a machine's internal hard disk using regular means, I then attached a USB device to it and booted into IFL and selected the procedure to Scale to Target for copying the data from the internal to the external disk. Afterwards, I booted into a Linux live CD environment with the USB still attached and mounted the partitions; then I modified fstab to reflect the new devices, changing them from sda to sdb for example, and I removed the existing Grub2 boot-loader and replaced it with LILO. When I then rebooted the machine with this device attached, I selected it to boot from the BIOS boot menu, and it took me straight to LILO. Finally, it started up the system and all worked perfectly. I checked the disk and file system usage, and everything appears to be resized just as expected. Thanks to TBU's program, this was a simple procedure. Thanks.

:geek: