Page 1 of 3

IFW 2.83 Stalls while Gathering Information

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:13 pm
by engineerguy3809
Win XP Pro; SP3; includes all Microsoft latest updates. No other OS on system. (Pretty "vanilla" system)

Long-time user. I just updated my IFW from V2.79 to V2.83. When I begin a new session, the window gets to the point where Operations says "Gathering Information", then stalls. I'm used to having it take a couple minutes for PHYLock to establish a lock, but this is a complete stall (I've waited 15 minutes or more). I tried several hot and cold re-boots but it did not help. Suggestions appreciated.

Re: IFW 2.83 Stalls while Gathering Information

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:14 pm
by tas3086
This ay not apply, but I have noticed that if I have a disk in the DVD drive, that it will take some time reading the whole DVD. If you have a DVD in the drive, take it out and see if it helps speed things up.

Re: IFW 2.83 Stalls while Gathering Information

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:51 pm
by engineerguy3809
Computer is older tower with 2 DVD drives, both trays are empty.
Since my original posting, I also tried a full uninstall and reinstall of IFW with same results.
Program Manager indicates no other apps are running, although it could be a less-obvious background service I'm not aware of.

Re: IFW 2.83 Stalls while Gathering Information

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
Are you using VSS?

Are you trying to exclude any files/folders?

Re: IFW 2.83 Stalls while Gathering Information

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:11 pm
by engineerguy3809
No and No

Re: IFW 2.83 Stalls while Gathering Information

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:22 pm
by engineerguy3809
Follow up:
I have disabled my AV/Malware protection (Avast) with the same results.
Everything seemingly starts OK, but then IFW hangs while Gathering Information.
When IFW hangs, It does not lock up PC. I can still click on the IFW radio-buttons, but the program does not proceed.
Also, the only way I can exit IFW it is to call up Program Manager and force it to end.
The red X box on upper right only beeps when clicked.

Re: IFW 2.83 Stalls while Gathering Information

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:10 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
Is there any disk activity showing at that point?

Have you checked the partitions being used for any file system errors (e.g. "chkdsk /f c:")?

Does this happen only when backing up a particular partition or does it happen with any partition?

Re: IFW 2.83 Stalls while Gathering Information

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:24 pm
by engineerguy3809
I am Imaging a single HD (NTFS) with 3 partitions. I have ran Chkdsk X: /f on all three.
I even went as far as rechecking all three while running in Safe Mode. No errors or corrections found.
IFW starts as usual, PHYLock waits for drive writing to stop, then proceeds to Gathering Information, when it stalls.
AN INTERESTING NEW OBSERVATION:
My OS is on partition C: (as is customary) and my D: and E: partitions are reserved for data only.
IFW will create images of my two data partitions (D and E) without any complaints or issues.
It will only stall if I include C:, or attempt to do the entire drive (C, D and E)
Does this help?

Re: IFW 2.83 Stalls while Gathering Information

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:48 am
by TeraByte Support
double check your settings to see if you're using VSS with exclude option
enable (or using /exlist on your command line). That will cause gathering
information to potentially take a long time as it finds the files. How long
have you let it sit? If you want to see the .log you can use imagel
/logl:50 then it will exist even if you cancel the process plus have extra
info in there.

"engineerguy3809" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

I am Imaging a single HD (NTFS) with 3 partitions. I have ran Chkdsk X: /f
on all three.
I even went as far as rechecking all three while running in Safe Mode. No
errors or corrections found.
IFW starts as usual, PHYLock waits for drive writing to stop, then proceeds
to Gathering Information, when it stalls.
AN INTERESTING NEW OBSERVATION:
My OS is on partition C: (as is customary) and my D: and E: partitions are
reserved for data only.
IFW will create images of my two data partitions (D and E) without any
complaints or issues.
It will only stall if I include C:, or attempt to do the entire drive (C, D
and E)
Does this help?


Re: IFW 2.83 Stalls while Gathering Information

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:57 pm
by engineerguy3809
I've left IFW "thinking" on the computer for 2-3 hours without it progressing any further while "GATHERING INFORMATION".

Nothing whatsoever is checked in the VSS section of SETTINGS.
VSS settings has 3 checkboxes. All are unchecked and the bottom two grayed-out (I assume because the top box is not selected).

Can you clarify the specific command line and switches for logging as you describe?
I usually just launch from Windows Icon which points to IMAGEW.EXE, but I can certainly launch from the command line if I know specific string.
I searched my pdf for IFW and did not Immediately see the switch parameters you described.
I'm sure that is because I'm not looking in the correct place or I don't understand the proper switch-string.

I did locate an IFW.LOG file in the IFW Program Files folder, but the only contents are for my last successful image of my Data Drive E (a non OS partition).
The log file is apparently not updated during an unsuccessful attempt without the proper switch string.