Page 1 of 1
Full Back-up or Copy
Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:26 am
by AaLF
[B]Situation:[/B]
C: Win7x64 OS
F: DATA Storage Drive for all & sundry
G: BACK UP HDD set aside for backing up of F:
On Image 4 Windows what is the sensible option for a weekly back up of F to G? Full back up or Copy?
I ask because I used to have Acronis Migrate Easy long ago & I would simply clone F over to G. Then in case of failure I would simply change the drive letter from G to F & all was back up & running. (Similar for C drive b/up too.)
So how should I maintain a back up of F:?
Re: Full Back-up or Copy
Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:56 pm
by mjnelson99
An image probably takes up less disk space than a full copy.
Since you can image with Windows running using IFW, you can
image more frequently if you wish.
The time to restore an image depends on size and the
components in your computer. Once started, the process runs
automatically.
Mary
On 8/17/2013 10:26 PM, AaLF wrote:
> Situation:
> C: Win7x64 OS
> F: DATA Storage Drive for all & sundry
> G: BACK UP HDD set aside for backing up of F:
>
> On Image 4 Windows what is the sensible option for a weekly back up of F to G? Full back up or Copy?
>
> I ask because I used to have Acronis Migrate Easy long ago & I would simply clone F over to G. Then in case of failure I would simply change the drive letter from G to F & all was back up & running. (Similar for C drive b/up too.)
>
> So how should I maintain a back up of F:?
>
>
Re: Full Back-up or Copy
Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:10 pm
by DrTeeth
On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 08:56:49 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
mjnelson99 disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>Since you can image with Windows running using IFW, you can
>image more frequently if you wish.
One can also run a scheduled task (batch file) within windows to do a
full copy too. The real advantage to IfW would be the ease of having
sequential backups taking a minimum of space by just backing up
changes.
--
Cheers,
DrT
** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.
Re: Full Back-up or Copy
Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:34 am
by TeraByte Support
If you want to make a full copy so you just change drive letters, then use
the copy option (note that if the source drive fails in the middle of the
copy, the target drive may be no good). If you want to backup to a file,
then do that, to use it, you'd need to restore to then use it.
"AaLF" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Situation:
C: Win7x64 OS
F: DATA Storage Drive for all & sundry
G: BACK UP HDD set aside for backing up of F:
On Image 4 Windows what is the sensible option for a weekly back up of F to
G? Full back up or Copy?
So how should I maintain a back up of F:?