Page 1 of 1
Differential copy of partition possible?
Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:46 pm
by Vault Dweller
Ok, here’s my problem: I have a 400 GB partiton of data. I use IFD from BootIt BM to create a periodical copy of this partition to another hdd and this take a long time. I know I can create differential copy when creating image file from partition but I don’t want it – what I need is IFD just copy from source partition to target only new (or changed) files.
Re: Differential copy of partition possible?
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:14 am
by Brian K
Vault Dweller wrote:
> I know I can create differential copy when creating
> image file from partition but I don’t want it – .
Most of us would use differential backups. Why don't you like them?
Re: Differential copy of partition possible?
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:17 am
by TeraByte Support
You could use the new /wco option, but to only write changed "files", you'd
need something working on the file level. A simple batch script using xcopy
with the a date option could be done, or robocopy which has more options
(archive bit/reset, ,etc..)
"Vault Dweller" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Ok, here's my problem: I have a 400 GB partiton of data. I use IFD from
BootIt BM to create a periodical copy of this partition to another hdd and
this take a long time. I know I can create differential copy when creating
image file from partition but I don't want it - what I need is IFD just copy
from source partition to target only new (or changed) files.
Re: Differential copy of partition possible?
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:03 pm
by tas3086
If you are using windows, a tool exists called synctoy that will do exactly (I think) what you want to do, but under Windows. Similar tools may be available for other operating systems.
Re: Differential copy of partition possible?
Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:20 pm
by Vault Dweller
@Brian K
I just want to have a mirrored hdd ready to work in case my primary one dies. Similar to RAID1 but processed now and then
@TeraByte Support
Althought I don't understand fully how does this /wco option work - I'll experiment a bit and see if it helps. If not - possible it's high time to finally read manuals and start using TBOSDTS

@tas3086
I'll take a look if I can find soft similar to synctoy that can be run in DOS enviroment.
Thank you all for your help. If I figure sth out I'll be back to share.
Re: Differential copy of partition possible?
Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:43 pm
by Brian K
Vault Dweller wrote:
> I just want to have a mirrored hdd ready to work in case my primary one
> dies.
The disadvantage of what you are doing is you only have a single backup. Let's say your OS is infected with malware (or any software issue) which as yet hasn't become manifest. Then you copy the infected OS to your backup drive. There is no way to recover as you don't have a clean backup. With images you can have numerous backups, going into the distant past.
Re: Differential copy of partition possible?
Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:03 pm
by tas3086
I agree with Brian K. It is much better to have a (iterative) range of backups to restore too. Many viruses lay dormant until they trigger. How far should you go back? oops, I accidently deleted a file I need a few days ago. Did you back it up or not? Take the time to do it right, or like Brian K. implied ... when you really need it, it won't be there. The same for the /wco option on a copy. You can just end up with a clone of the bad disk.
Terabytes Image for ... products make nice small iterative backups, and track new, modified and deleted files. Any copy operation that you may look at should have all three of those options.
Create a tbs script to (iteratively) backup your files daily/weekly, before you shut down. Let it run (all night) and have it turn off your system when it is completed. It's easy to do. There are a few examples in the scripts section of the forum, and because you have BootITBM, you can launch it easily from a (boot) menu item.
Re: Differential copy of partition possible?
Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:57 pm
by Vault Dweller
@Brian K, tas3086
No worries guys -this 'from time to time entire hdd copy' is just one of my backup method. I have OS&Programms partitions image files, backup most important docs on DVD, keep family photos (most precious data) on 3 HDDs kept in separate locations etc. With the way I use PC nowadays hardware failure is my biggest worry NOT virus or maleware etc. I just look for a way to cut time required to create an exact copy of my drive.
Re: Differential copy of partition possible?
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:04 pm
by a1pcfixer
Vault,
> No worries guys -this 'from time to time entire hdd copy' is just one of my backup method.
But do *TEST* your backups by doing a trial restore of a few folders/files!
Back around abouts 15 years ago, the editor of a computer magazine (maybe PC Magazine?)
Frequently told the readers to always backup. Great idea, but not much good if you don't
test them.
We'll, the day came where he had a HDD failure, and needed to restore one of his backups.
Problem was, his backups were no good. In that era, tape drives were in vogue, and his
falsely told him each backup was fine (he never tested them). Plus his backup program never
reported they were no good.
So, every so often take and pretend you had a major hardware failure, fixed it, then go
through the motions of doing a partial restore.....just a couple folders/files and be
CERTAIN your backups are indeed good.
Don't depend entirely on 'validate' to feel secure. Test your restore procedure(s) and be
certain!
--
Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002