Page 1 of 1

Scale to fit

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:22 pm
by Cataulin
First time IFW user here.

I was able to create a backup with no issues but now that I've gotten to the point where I need to restore I've run into a snag. I keep getting the error message " The destination is not large enough. 523794 MiBs required. Now the Image I created was only 20 gb and the HDD I'd like to copy it to is 80gb. I've tried using both scale to fit and scale to target in IFL 2.58 and I keep getting this error. Assistance appreciated!

Re: Scale to fit

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:00 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
2.58 is over three years old. Try using the current version (2.82a).

Re: Scale to fit

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:01 pm
by Cataulin
Alright so Im trying the latest version. I still cannot figure out how to remove the space that is not needed. Its a 1tb drive that is the original and the biggest available drive is 320gb. How do I remove reduce the empty unused portion?

Re: Scale to fit

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:25 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
You'll need to compact the source partition before backing it up. Otherwise, you'll need at least the minimum required space to do the restore. See: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=554

Re: Scale to fit

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:33 pm
by TeraByte Support
Also, you can use a virtual drive (sparse/dynamic expanding) if you don't
have a physical large enough drive to restore to so you can compact it and
backup again.

If you have the source drive, you just go to it, when the list of partitions
is show, click compact option. Compact down (I wouldn't go to minimum
unless needed, just down enough as you'd ever need) each partition. Then
backup the entire drive, restore to the target using scale-to-fit.

If you don't have the source drive, just restore someplace large enough
(virtual or physical) and do the same.

Also, if using IFW and VSS, there is a slight chance the VSS cache file
could be allocated up higher than you want.

"TeraByte Support (PP)" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

You'll need to compact the source partition before backing it up. Otherwise,
you'll need at least the minimum required space to do the restore. See:

[
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=554
](http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=554)