Page 1 of 1

BIOS update with encrypted drive

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:06 pm
by Peabody
I just need some help thinking through this. I have a Samsung laptop, and use Truecrypt whole-drive encryption. The Samsung Software Update program wants to update the BIOS to version P08AAA. Of course I could de-crypt the drive, but would rather not if that's not necessary. But my thinking is that if I make an IFL image immediately before the flashing, then between the Truecrypt recovery disk and the image, I should be able to recover from any problems the flashing may cause with the hard drive. Then the remaining concern would be that the encryption might corrupt the flashing process itself, from which I might not be able to recover.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing, or have any suggestions on how to proceed? Does this normally work ok?

Re: BIOS update with encrypted drive

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:48 am
by TeraByte Support(PP)
If the updater has to reboot out of Windows to do the update it won't work because of the encryption. If it will flash the BIOS while in Windows then it should work.

Another option would be to update the BIOS by booting to other media. For example, if Samsung provides boot media to update outside of Windows. Or if the updater would run in WinPE you could boot to TBWinRE/PE and run it.