Re-size created partition overlap
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:02 pm
Attempt to re-size a partition caused an "Partition Overlap" error when restoring the last partition.
Scenario: Windows server 2003 R2
A RAID 5 array had 3 partitions:
1= a small utility partition 64 MB
2= the Windows C-drive 13 GB
3= an Extended partition with user data 290 GB (over 200 GB of un-used space was behind the 3rd Partition)
The second partition was too small and windows was running out of space (less than 50 MB left)
First attempt to resolve the problem:
A complete backup of ALL partitions was done, then the last partition was deleted with BIBM.
The Partition 2 was then re-sized to 107 GB (yeah), then I tried to restore partition 3.
That is when I received the "Partition Overlap message".
Second Attempt to resolve the Windows issue and avoid the Overlap:
I restored ALL partitions from the Image backup overwriting the drive and getting back to the beginning.
Then I thought I would "Slide" the last partition to make room to re-size partition 2.
After waiting more than 1 hour, the "Slide" operation was still indicating 0% and BIBM appeared to be frozen.
Since it was now past 2:00 AM and the server needed to be up and running in the morning, I aborted the operation. (pulled the power)
I then did a complete restore again from the image file so the server was back online.
I need to make my third attempt a successful one (third time is a charm!)
Questions:
Why did I get the "Partition Overlap" message?
How do I avoid a "Partition Overlap"?
Why did the Slide operation"Appear" to be frozen?
Does BIBM not update the status during the slide?
Did I just not wait long enough?
Is there a better / proper way to make partition 2 larger?
Scenario: Windows server 2003 R2
A RAID 5 array had 3 partitions:
1= a small utility partition 64 MB
2= the Windows C-drive 13 GB
3= an Extended partition with user data 290 GB (over 200 GB of un-used space was behind the 3rd Partition)
The second partition was too small and windows was running out of space (less than 50 MB left)
First attempt to resolve the problem:
A complete backup of ALL partitions was done, then the last partition was deleted with BIBM.
The Partition 2 was then re-sized to 107 GB (yeah), then I tried to restore partition 3.
That is when I received the "Partition Overlap message".
Second Attempt to resolve the Windows issue and avoid the Overlap:
I restored ALL partitions from the Image backup overwriting the drive and getting back to the beginning.
Then I thought I would "Slide" the last partition to make room to re-size partition 2.
After waiting more than 1 hour, the "Slide" operation was still indicating 0% and BIBM appeared to be frozen.
Since it was now past 2:00 AM and the server needed to be up and running in the morning, I aborted the operation. (pulled the power)
I then did a complete restore again from the image file so the server was back online.
I need to make my third attempt a successful one (third time is a charm!)
Questions:
Why did I get the "Partition Overlap" message?
How do I avoid a "Partition Overlap"?
Why did the Slide operation"Appear" to be frozen?
Does BIBM not update the status during the slide?
Did I just not wait long enough?
Is there a better / proper way to make partition 2 larger?