Speakup?
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:19 am
Hi all,
Hoping someone can help here. For a few years I've been using my Trusty
Image for Linux CD to backup and restore. I'm a blind person, so the Speakup
program on the disk was extremely helpful, since it made the restore process
completely accessible. I have a separate Linux computer, so I use Speakup
all the time anyway.
Tonight I broke from my normal way of doing things and imaged my main system
drive from within Windows itself. This was before an application install I
wanted the option of completely undoing, and as it turns out, I'm glad I had
that option. However, I had a newer version of IFW installed, and IFL 2.41
didn't recognize the image file as valid. So naturally I booted back into
Windows and downloaded the latest IFL and burned it. Here's where the
problem comes in.
I simply cannot get that disk to load Speakup no matter what I do. It just
won't load! Linux comes up fine, but with no speech. I went back into
Windows and read a history file and it didn't mention discontinuing Speakup
support. Finally managed to get the thing restored by starting SSHD and
SSHing in from my real Linux box. But this is not ideal in any case.
So my question is, has Speakup been removed from newer IFL disks? If so, any
chance of getting it back? IFL is the only image backup/restore program I
know of with a restore function completely accessible to the blind.
Obviously no restore can be run from Windows booted from the partition
you're restoring to, and yet, the screen reader software I use normally
loads within Windows.
If Speakup is still there, has the boot process changed in some way so I
have to type something different at the boot prompt?
If absolutely all else fails, is there any way to convert a TBI file of an
imaged partition to a raw file which can then be copied using dd to the
target partition?
Thanks for any help.
Jayson
Hoping someone can help here. For a few years I've been using my Trusty
Image for Linux CD to backup and restore. I'm a blind person, so the Speakup
program on the disk was extremely helpful, since it made the restore process
completely accessible. I have a separate Linux computer, so I use Speakup
all the time anyway.
Tonight I broke from my normal way of doing things and imaged my main system
drive from within Windows itself. This was before an application install I
wanted the option of completely undoing, and as it turns out, I'm glad I had
that option. However, I had a newer version of IFW installed, and IFL 2.41
didn't recognize the image file as valid. So naturally I booted back into
Windows and downloaded the latest IFL and burned it. Here's where the
problem comes in.
I simply cannot get that disk to load Speakup no matter what I do. It just
won't load! Linux comes up fine, but with no speech. I went back into
Windows and read a history file and it didn't mention discontinuing Speakup
support. Finally managed to get the thing restored by starting SSHD and
SSHing in from my real Linux box. But this is not ideal in any case.
So my question is, has Speakup been removed from newer IFL disks? If so, any
chance of getting it back? IFL is the only image backup/restore program I
know of with a restore function completely accessible to the blind.
Obviously no restore can be run from Windows booted from the partition
you're restoring to, and yet, the screen reader software I use normally
loads within Windows.
If Speakup is still there, has the boot process changed in some way so I
have to type something different at the boot prompt?
If absolutely all else fails, is there any way to convert a TBI file of an
imaged partition to a raw file which can then be copied using dd to the
target partition?
Thanks for any help.
Jayson