Page 1 of 1

Incremental validation

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:47 pm
by DrTeeth
I recently had an issue where a differential backup failed (corrupt image stream) due to a corrupted/faulty base full backup.

If one creates an incremental backup, will that fail due to a faulty base file too or only due to the faulty changes backup on which it is based?

TIA

DrT

Re: Incremental validation

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:47 am
by tas3086
I'd also ask the same question for incrementals, but would add: Is the base and existing incremental chain checked before adding a new increment?

Re: Incremental validation

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:17 am
by TeraByte Support
not sure of the question - but whichever file "goes bad" then that file and
any file based on it are no good.

"DrTeeth" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

I recently had an issue where a differential backup failed (corrupt image
stream) due to a corrupted/faulty base full backup.

If one creates an incremental backup, will that fail due to a faulty base
file too or only due to the faulty changes backup on which it is based?

TIA

DrT


Re: Incremental validation

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:38 pm
by DrTeeth
On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 20:17:23 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
"TeraByte Support" disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

>not sure of the question - but whichever file "goes bad" then that file and
>any file based on it are no good.

So, say one has a base backup and a chain of several incrementals, is
there any way of checking that all are sound?
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.

Re: Incremental validation

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:55 pm
by TeraByte Support
validation of the latest one.

"DrTeeth" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 20:17:23 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
"TeraByte Support"

disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

>not sure of the question - but whichever file "goes bad" then that file and
>any file based on it are no good.

So, say one has a base backup and a chain of several incrementals, is
there any way of checking that all are sound?
--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.


Re: Incremental validation

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:21 pm
by mjnelson99
I guess with very large drives it is more practical not to
do a full image.

I am glad my own situation is such that I have only done
complete images so the issue of a bad incremental will not
come up.

It probably pays to periodically re-validate your initial
image as well. I have had DVD images go bad more frequently
than images to SD cards or D: on my laptop. My x64 laptop
takes at least a 16 GB SD card, even on my old computer with
Win 7 X86.

Some card readers cannot handle a 32 GB SD card so if you
have gotten them, make sure your reader will do so.
Mary

On 6/9/2013 12:55 PM, TeraByte Support wrote:
> validation of the latest one.
>
> "DrTeeth" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 20:17:23 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
> "TeraByte Support"
>
> disturbed my
> reverie and wrote:
>
>> not sure of the question - but whichever file "goes bad" then that file and
>> any file based on it are no good.
>
> So, say one has a base backup and a chain of several incrementals, is
> there any way of checking that all are sound?
>

Re: Incremental validation

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:40 am
by DrTeeth
Mary,

>> I am glad my own situation is such that I have only done
>> complete images so the issue of a bad incremental will not
>> come up.

My issue in creating a differential was due to a bad full backup base file. It was validated on creation the previous week.

DrT

Re: Incremental validation

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:39 pm
by mjnelson99
I guess bad initial backups are impossible to completely avoid.
That is one reason I use both my D drive and SD cards.
I rarely go more than a week w/o imaging. I do make a backup
of Thunderbird every night using MozBackup so at least that
would be pretty current.
Mary

On 6/11/2013 2:40 AM, DrTeeth wrote:
> Mary,
>
>>> I am glad my own situation is such that I have only done
>>> complete images so the issue of a bad incremental will not
>>> come up.
>
> My issue in creating a differential was due to a bad full backup base file. It was validated on creation the previous week.
>
> DrT
>
>