Page 1 of 1
What is better
Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:28 am
by TDC999
Hello,
I'm just testing the software IFW on my Win7-64-bit machine. And I got really confused about all the options to create a boot media
I have Microsoft OPK installed on my machine i have to say.
I couldn't find out in the manual which one is the better alternative (I'm new to this kinda stuff). Could someone help me which is more reliable or "better" to create a WinPE Boot Disc or TBWinRE Disk?
In the windows start menu under the Terrabyter folder i found the "Create Recovery Boot Disk" is that one of the aforementioned options, or is this even a third options?
Greetings to the forum!
P.S. I just saw that under Settings/CD Boot Image There is a radio button image for linux/Dos Custom. I Remember that when i downloaded the trial i picked the IFW version with image for dos gui. But how does this work? Does this option create a dos-boot environment or is it more meant that i have a computer on which dos is the OS (Who has that today!?!) and then this CD can be used as boot environment? I was using Acronis, there you can make a rescue Disk which is i guess in linux. Is that in anyway similar to that?
Re: What is better
Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:00 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
TBWinRE and TBWinPE have the same basic functionality. TBWinRE can be created directly from a standard Windows 7/8 system without needing the AIK/ADK download and installed. Since you're using Windows 7, the only difference is that TBWinRE includes the "System Recovery Options" (standard in WinRE) and you can only create a build using the same architecture as your system (TBWinPE will let you create either 32-bit or 64-bit media). You can create TBWinRE using the installed shortcut or by following the instructions on the tutorial page.
The CD Boot Image controls which boot media version (IFD/IFL/Custom) is used when IFW saves the backup directly to a CD/DVD. When you boot the CD/DVD it will run the included version. Note that you have to download the IFL CD files from your account if you want to use IFL.
Depending on which download you installed (IFW with IFD & IFL, IFW with just IFD, etc.) you can also create boot media using IFD (DOS) and IFL (Linux). IFD and IFL can also be download separately from IFW.
Re: What is better
Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:35 pm
by mjnelson99
Maybe this is off a bit, but IFL & IFL both include
makedisk.exe that will create a bootable CD/DVD.
In my case, I use a SD card to boot them.
Check it out and find out if this will meet your own
requirements.
Mary
On 6/4/2013 6:28 AM, TDC999 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm just testing the software IFW on my Win7-64-bit machine. And I got really confused about all the options to create a boot media
>
> 
>
> I have Microsoft OPK installed on my machine i have to say.
>
> I couldn't find out in the manual which one is the better alternative (I'm new to this kinda stuff). Could someone help me which is more reliable or "better" to create a WinPE Boot Disc or TBWinRE Disk?
> In the windows start menu under the Terrabyter folder i found the "Create Recovery Boot Disk" is that one of the aforementioned options, or is this even a third options?
>
> Greetings to the forum!
>
> P.S. I just saw that under Settings/CD Boot Image There is a radio button image for linux/Dos Custom. I Remember that when i downloaded the trial i picked the IFW version with image for dos gui. But how does this work? Does this option create a dos-boot environment or is it more meant that i have a computer on which dos is the OS (Who has that today!?!) and then this CD can be used as boot environment? I was using Acronis, there you can make a rescue Disk which is i guess in linux. Is that in anyway similar to that?
>
>
Re: What is better
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 am
by TDC999
Thanks for your answer
The CD Boot Image controls which boot media version (IFD/IFL/Custom) is used when IFW saves the backup directly to a CD/DVD. When you boot the CD/DVD it will run the included version. Note that you have to download the IFL CD files from your account if you want to use IFL.
1. If i understand you right, the CD Boot Image option creates a bootmedia with either dos or linux. Which one would be better on my system?
2. This question was unanswered: In the windows start menu under the Terrabyter folder i found the "Create Recovery Boot Disk" what does this do?
Thanks for your help!
P.S. mjnelson99: Is this a typo: "IFl & IFL" ? And what is the difference makedisk.exe compared to the above options??
Re: What is better
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:48 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
1. The CD Boot Image files only control which version is place on directly burned CD/DVD/BD discs (when you save a backup directly to disc). If you just want to create boot media for IFD/IFL you need to run the MakeDisk program for it. You can try both IFD and IFL on your system and see which you prefer. IFL has more tools/features included with it. However, if you're going to use TBWinRE/PE for you boot media it really doesn't matter what's on the backup disc.
2. That's the "installed shortcut" I referred to. It will run the TBWinRE script.
Re: What is better
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:10 pm
by TDC999
Thx - very enlightening answer. This forum is much different to Acronis. No help there....
Greetings!