Server connection capabilities
Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:56 am
I used to make backups on a home LAN to a samba server created by the WD NAS device I was using. However, I don't have it any longer, though I can't honestly say I am terribly disappointed about it because it seemed to require to much hand-holding for its simple enough functionality. Even so, the backups were handy. Now I have a huge USB device attached directly to the main workstation for making much easier backups. It does not have any kind of server OS for accepting connections as the NAS did.
I would like to be able to back up from another machine on the LAN to either it or to the main workstation's HD, which is large enough to hold the backed-up data temporarily before I move it to the USB device. On this main workstation I have Windows 7 Professional installed as the primary OS, but I also have VirtualBox installed on it with a number of different OS's, including various Linux and Windows.
It seems to me that I could easily enough (possibly with Linux?) install a samba server or some other kind of server recognizable by IFW/IFL within one of the virtual machines on VBox so that I could make a whole-disk backup from the separate physical machine onto the hard disk of the virtual machine while my main machine is also running (even while I am working on it) and the separate machine were booted into the IFL CD environment.
If I created the virtual hard disk large enough, why would something like that not work? Or would there be a better solution using Windows itself, one I am not aware of? I am not entirely clear on which other servers are within the capabilities of, or can be recognized by, the IFL CD program.
I would like to be able to back up from another machine on the LAN to either it or to the main workstation's HD, which is large enough to hold the backed-up data temporarily before I move it to the USB device. On this main workstation I have Windows 7 Professional installed as the primary OS, but I also have VirtualBox installed on it with a number of different OS's, including various Linux and Windows.
It seems to me that I could easily enough (possibly with Linux?) install a samba server or some other kind of server recognizable by IFW/IFL within one of the virtual machines on VBox so that I could make a whole-disk backup from the separate physical machine onto the hard disk of the virtual machine while my main machine is also running (even while I am working on it) and the separate machine were booted into the IFL CD environment.
If I created the virtual hard disk large enough, why would something like that not work? Or would there be a better solution using Windows itself, one I am not aware of? I am not entirely clear on which other servers are within the capabilities of, or can be recognized by, the IFL CD program.