IFL - Restore Different Hardware
Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:47 pm
I have this issue quite often and not sure how to resolve it. It happens with Windows XP and Windows 7. Basically I have 1 computer where I Save an image (XP or Win7). I take the whole drive and not just a partition and save it to a .tbi file. I then go to another workstation and try to restore the saved image overwriting everything on that disk. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't depending on the target hardware. If it's a Win XP restore it usually ends in a BSOD. If it's Win7 then it looks like it's starting up with the flying window coming together and then it reboots and starts all over again.
I know this is different hardware but we are talking workstations here with no raid or anything fancy. Is there a way I can consistently build an XP or Win 7 image and have it successfully restore to any different piece of hardware? I am using this for our school and all of the teachers have different computers and I was trying build 1 standard XP and Win7 image I could use to restore their computers back to a "base" system at the end of the school year.
-Thanks!
-Richard
I know this is different hardware but we are talking workstations here with no raid or anything fancy. Is there a way I can consistently build an XP or Win 7 image and have it successfully restore to any different piece of hardware? I am using this for our school and all of the teachers have different computers and I was trying build 1 standard XP and Win7 image I could use to restore their computers back to a "base" system at the end of the school year.
-Thanks!
-Richard