Page 1 of 2

IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:14 am
by T-Rhex
Hello,

I have a new Asus laptop with Win8 64-bit and have a couple of questions regarding using IFD/IFL with Win8.

1. Is there anything specific about Win8 that I should know in terms of creating/restoring images (other than the "corruption" sticky about disabling hibernation)? I've used IFD/IFL successfully with Win7 (I always do system images offline from a bootable CD), but I have not yet encountered a Win8 setup and am unfamiliar with the partitioning scheme.

2. Does UEFI (secure boot) affect imaging software at all (in terms of restoring)? I presume one would disable secure boot before attempting to restore a drive/partition?

Thanks,
tr

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:04 am
by Brian K
tr,

See this for a similar issue...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... ?f=8&t=949

As you have a 64-bit system you can do UEFI restores with IFL and TBWinRE. Do you have legacy USB support?

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:24 pm
by T-Rhex
Thanks, Brian. I wasn't even aware of TBWinRE (but found the tutorial now).
Is there any advantage in using TBWinRE over IFL other than not needing a boot CD to get the Terabyte recovery tools? I suppose that when IFL/IFW is updated I would have to refresh the TBWinRE?

I'm not sure yet if it has legacy USB support; I haven't turned it on yet, as the first thing I want to do when powering on is to take an image of the factory installed state.

Trevor

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:32 pm
by Brian K
Trevor,

I use both and I suggest you try both. They are incredibly interesting apps. Each has unique features but for your first image it doesn't matter which one you choose.

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:45 pm
by T-Rhex
Thanks Brian.
I've just tried a IFL 2.80 boot disk (CUI, no net) and it won't boot ...

initrmfs.gz...
error: failure reading sector 0x330 from cd0

and then it dumps a screenfull of text, which includes the following:
---
VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6
Kernel panic - not synching: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
Pid: 1, comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.7.9-iflnet #1
Call trace: ...
(and a whole bunch of lines I'm not going to type out)
---

I tried this same CD on another system (non-UEFI) and it booted fine. I also tried option 4 at startup, the one for "systems with more than 4GB RAM and hang".

This is on an Asus K55A, Win8 (x64). I made the IFL boot disk from a Win7 (x64) PC -- does that matter? I will next install IFW to the notebook and try TBWinRE.

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:13 pm
by T-Rhex
[sorry for dual post]

I installed IFW 2.80 to the notebook, and tried to use it to create an IFL recovery disk. I keep getting "insert blank disk", and I tried 2 different brands of CD and 1 DVD, all new.

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:13 pm
by T-Rhex
[sorry for triple post]

Update: I ran the WinRE script to create a recovery disk from IFW. Writing direct to the CD/DVD had the same problem "insert blank disk" with new disks. I wrote to an ISO file instead and used BurnCDCC to create the disk; it gave the "insert blank disk" once, then successfully wrote to the disk on retry.

I was then able to boot to the CD (after much consternation with Win8 boot facilities :evil:) and finally received the wonderful Terabyte IFW interface! From there all was comfortably normal (so far).

So I'm not sure what the difference is between burning direct to CD versus using BurnCDCC, but perhaps there's a bug there or something in my setup? Also, not sure why IFL didn't work (as mentioned in previous post), but at least I'm now able to image the drive with TBWinRE. Thanks for the tip on TBWinRE, Brian.

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:09 pm
by Brian K
Trevor, in your Boot Menu (probably ESC choice) do you see two options to boot a CD? CD and UEFI CD?

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:27 am
by T-Rhex
I only see one: UEFI CD.

One more question: when I do a restore, do I need to only restore the C: partition, or all the partitions? I don't just mean now, but in time as well; for example, would I ever restore the boot partition but not C:, or vice versa?

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:03 am
by Brian K
Trevor,

Follow http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... f=4&t=1048

If you only have an OS issue you just need to restore that image. Not the others.