Re: How to boot from an EUFI original or clone Linux partiti
Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:40 am
TeraByte Support wrote:
> With such a long thread, I decided to do what it looked like someone was
> trying to do, copy an installed mint partition on gpt using uefi boot.
I appreciate your interest, as I am sure Brian does.
> I
> had a system handy with 3 hard drives (scsi, nvme, and sata) where
> everything was installed on HD1 (sata) from point of view of BIU; including
>
> mint 18.3. I fired up disk imaging, copied the single mint partition to
> the end of the drive using the option to change guids, change volume sn,
> new
> name of "mint copy", when done, exit and went to scripting and
> did a "list
> hd 1" and can see the copy is now entry D (13), so I get the UUID,
> "list
> volsn 1 0xd" (or "list volsn 1 13") and copy that down (no
> copy/paste
> available, dang, a tbs script could automate all this), while there, I also
>
> "md \efi\ubuntu.100" and "copy \efi\ubuntu.001
> \efi\ubuntu.100 /s". Then
> exit that and go to Edit File, open up the \efi\ubuntu.100\grub.cfg file
> and
> change the UUID reference to the one I copied down, also changed the
> "hd0,11" to "hd0,13" (point of view from grub) since
> the new gpt slot it's
> in is 13. Save changes, setup boot item matching the other one, booting
> hd
> 1, boot file is now "\efi\ubuntu.100\grubx64.efi", enable rename
> directory
> option, save. Attempt to boot, and goes to grub rescue, using camera on
> phone, capture the error messages saying it can't read some sectors from
> HD2, so that tells me right away, the drive reference is off, so I go back
> to disk imaging, do the copy again using the same options, but adding
> "Assume Original HD" option. Once done, had to go get the new
> UUID again,
> apply that change in grub.cfg, then attempt to boot, and it booted right
> up.
> checked the mouse with "mount" command and the copy was root.
>
> So the options to use when doing the copy with multiple hard drives like
> that is to use "change guid", "change volume sn",
> "assume original hd".
> Updating grub, you update the uuid and gpt slot number the partition is in,
>
> which is the ID.
Excellent.
Some points of clarification:
- My issue has been with a laptop with one drive so not a multi-drive scenario....though obviously it is good to work towards being able to move partitions around to some pragmatic end..
- When you say you fired up disk imaging, then you copied......did you copy/paste the partition in work with partitions? ... or use "Image for Dos/Linux/UEFI" to make an image, then restore it to a different location?
- that all makes sense, apart from choosing the option "assume original hd", when you are pasting to another.
I am still on a BIU trial and don't have the 'change guid' and 'change volume sn' options for copy/paste operation in Work with Partitions.
Though if I can get most issues sorted, I'll certainly buy a BIU license.
_____________________________________________
Re the other issues:
The slow copy operation on the Dell Latitude:
This morning, I tried the copy operation with BIBM on USB.
The usb stick needs booting in Legacy mode.
I timed the copy operation to same drive (internal to laptop)
A 13.3GB partition took 3 minutes to clone.
I then ran BIU from a stick, and from an installation:
Both ways this same copy operation in 3 minutes, completed only 3% of the copy process.
The fact that BIBM doesn't have this slow copy issue, indicates the BIU copy problem cannot be solely due to the computer BIOS.
However, I don't have the slow copy issue on a Lenovo Yoga.
____________________________________________
> With such a long thread, I decided to do what it looked like someone was
> trying to do, copy an installed mint partition on gpt using uefi boot.
I appreciate your interest, as I am sure Brian does.
> I
> had a system handy with 3 hard drives (scsi, nvme, and sata) where
> everything was installed on HD1 (sata) from point of view of BIU; including
>
> mint 18.3. I fired up disk imaging, copied the single mint partition to
> the end of the drive using the option to change guids, change volume sn,
> new
> name of "mint copy", when done, exit and went to scripting and
> did a "list
> hd 1" and can see the copy is now entry D (13), so I get the UUID,
> "list
> volsn 1 0xd" (or "list volsn 1 13") and copy that down (no
> copy/paste
> available, dang, a tbs script could automate all this), while there, I also
>
> "md \efi\ubuntu.100" and "copy \efi\ubuntu.001
> \efi\ubuntu.100 /s". Then
> exit that and go to Edit File, open up the \efi\ubuntu.100\grub.cfg file
> and
> change the UUID reference to the one I copied down, also changed the
> "hd0,11" to "hd0,13" (point of view from grub) since
> the new gpt slot it's
> in is 13. Save changes, setup boot item matching the other one, booting
> hd
> 1, boot file is now "\efi\ubuntu.100\grubx64.efi", enable rename
> directory
> option, save. Attempt to boot, and goes to grub rescue, using camera on
> phone, capture the error messages saying it can't read some sectors from
> HD2, so that tells me right away, the drive reference is off, so I go back
> to disk imaging, do the copy again using the same options, but adding
> "Assume Original HD" option. Once done, had to go get the new
> UUID again,
> apply that change in grub.cfg, then attempt to boot, and it booted right
> up.
> checked the mouse with "mount" command and the copy was root.
>
> So the options to use when doing the copy with multiple hard drives like
> that is to use "change guid", "change volume sn",
> "assume original hd".
> Updating grub, you update the uuid and gpt slot number the partition is in,
>
> which is the ID.
Excellent.
Some points of clarification:
- My issue has been with a laptop with one drive so not a multi-drive scenario....though obviously it is good to work towards being able to move partitions around to some pragmatic end..
- When you say you fired up disk imaging, then you copied......did you copy/paste the partition in work with partitions? ... or use "Image for Dos/Linux/UEFI" to make an image, then restore it to a different location?
- that all makes sense, apart from choosing the option "assume original hd", when you are pasting to another.
I am still on a BIU trial and don't have the 'change guid' and 'change volume sn' options for copy/paste operation in Work with Partitions.
Though if I can get most issues sorted, I'll certainly buy a BIU license.
_____________________________________________
Re the other issues:
The slow copy operation on the Dell Latitude:
This morning, I tried the copy operation with BIBM on USB.
The usb stick needs booting in Legacy mode.
I timed the copy operation to same drive (internal to laptop)
A 13.3GB partition took 3 minutes to clone.
I then ran BIU from a stick, and from an installation:
Both ways this same copy operation in 3 minutes, completed only 3% of the copy process.
The fact that BIBM doesn't have this slow copy issue, indicates the BIU copy problem cannot be solely due to the computer BIOS.
However, I don't have the slow copy issue on a Lenovo Yoga.
____________________________________________