Page 7 of 19

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:33 pm
by Brian K
That drive is a GPT disk. It is already initialised. Nothing more is needed.

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:35 pm
by Friendly
If I haven't made it clear, I just want steps that will work every time. That's why I mentioned a clean, freshly formatted new drive, I want a solid foundation for starting fresh.

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:35 pm
by Brian K
Once you get the copy working correctly, make an image of the MSR and Win11 copy partitions.

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:38 pm
by Brian K
Friendly wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:35 pm That's why I mentioned a clean, freshly formatted new drive,
Terminology. You can have a formatted partition. A clean drive has no partitions.

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:41 pm
by Brian K
When you put a new drive in your computer, fresh out of the packet, convert it to a GPT disk.

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:48 pm
by Friendly
When starting with a clean drive to use as a test drive, in my case smaller than the one Windows 11 is installed on, I follow these steps and assume they’ll be the same each time.
I use IFW boot media to restore a Windows 11 image from, for example, an SN larger drive, to fresh smaller drive, adjusting IFW settings like “scale to fit, align, change ID.” Once the image is copied to, say, the 860, I use BootIt UEFI media to delete everything on 860 except the MSR (I assume msr is not created when copied OS). Then I resize the main Windows 11 OS, copy and paste it to the 860, add it to the boot menu, and make adjustments to rename the drives so they’re distinct. Are these the correct steps for starting fresh?

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:49 pm
by Friendly
Brian K wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:38 pm
Friendly wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:35 pm That's why I mentioned a clean, freshly formatted new drive,
Terminology. You can have a formatted partition. A clean drive has no partitions.
Yes, you are correct, my apology, I'm learning here more then I realize 8-)

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2026 7:22 pm
by Brian K
Friendly wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:48 pm I use IFW boot media to restore a Windows 11 image from, for example, an SN larger drive, to fresh smaller drive, adjusting IFW settings like “scale to fit, align, change ID.” Once the image is copied to, say, the 860, I use BootIt UEFI media to delete everything on 860 except the MSR (I assume msr is not created when copied OS).
Friendly, I can't understand why you would spend so much time doing that procedure and then delete everything you have created.

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2026 7:27 pm
by Friendly
Brian K wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2026 7:22 pm
Friendly wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:48 pm I use IFW boot media to restore a Windows 11 image from, for example, an SN larger drive, to fresh smaller drive, adjusting IFW settings like “scale to fit, align, change ID.” Once the image is copied to, say, the 860, I use BootIt UEFI media to delete everything on 860 except the MSR (I assume msr is not created when copied OS).
Friendly, I can't understand why you would spend so much time doing that procedure and then delete everything you have created.
I agree, so I went and did it the way you suggested
Thanks Friendly. The MSR has been deleted at some stage. Can you do this?
Select the 200000 MiB partition, click Delete in the Actions menu on the right.
Put a tick in Clear Boot Sector and leave the other boxes alone
Click Yes. You should now see 244197 MiB of Free Space

Click Change Disk Type
Click MBR
Yes
Click Change Disk Type
Click GPT
Yes

You should now see the 16 MiB MSR and Free Space below it.

Your Win11 partition is 200000 MiB. That's fine. Do the BIU copy exactly as we discussed earlier. I hope you get a good result this time.
It was a much quicker way and boy o boy I was so happy when I chose the 860 in menu and it booted great, then I booted SN worked great, but again 860 and windows cries for repair and that's all, no longer boot to 860, I am lost for words, I was so happy but only till 2 reboots later, I don't understand, this shouldn't be that difficult :?

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2026 7:35 pm
by Friendly
I really appreciate all the time and effort you’ve put into helping me, you’ve been an incredible help and instructor, but unless there’s a clear reason to suspect a problem, why would it boot up perfectly only for Windows to ask for a repair? I’m just about ready to give up.