Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Thanks. Can you take a photo of Partition Work (of the 860) with your phone and post it here? There is conflicting information.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Thanks, Brian. Here’s the image of 860, and I’ve resized the SNs OS to 200000 as shown, but doing 100000 gives the same result.
- Attachments
-
- 1000010788.jpg (147.66 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Thanks Friendly. The MSR has been deleted at some stage. Can you do this?
Select the 200000 MiB partition, click Delete in the Actions menu on the right.
Put a tick in Clear Boot Sector and leave the other boxes alone
Click Yes. You should now see 244197 MiB of Free Space
Click Change Disk Type
Click MBR
Yes
Click Change Disk Type
Click GPT
Yes
You should now see the 16 MiB MSR and Free Space below it.
Your Win11 partition is 200000 MiB. That's fine. Do the BIU copy exactly as we discussed earlier. I hope you get a good result this time.
Select the 200000 MiB partition, click Delete in the Actions menu on the right.
Put a tick in Clear Boot Sector and leave the other boxes alone
Click Yes. You should now see 244197 MiB of Free Space
Click Change Disk Type
Click MBR
Yes
Click Change Disk Type
Click GPT
Yes
You should now see the 16 MiB MSR and Free Space below it.
Your Win11 partition is 200000 MiB. That's fine. Do the BIU copy exactly as we discussed earlier. I hope you get a good result this time.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
OK, I’m making progress here. I followed your latest instructions and restored my SN’s Windows image to 860. Then I deleted everything, including checking the delete boot option, please correct me if I’m doing something wrong, but that’s the only way I can learn for the future. I kept only the 16 MB MSR, resized SN’s OS, and copied and pasted it to 860 it worked.
SORRY! I posted before you did.
I will do it again with your suggestion you just posted
SORRY! I posted before you did.
I will do it again with your suggestion you just posted
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
I assume you don't have a second Boot Item. That will be created by the BIU copy.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
The method I used works, but for some reason, when I choose to boot from the 860, Windows needs to repair itself. After restarting and getting the boot menu, selecting the 860 boots fine, so it works but with a glitch. To get this far, what I did was I formatted the 860, restored an image of SN Win11 to it, then deleted the OS including “clear boot sector” while leaving everything else, just to see if it made a difference. Once booted, I used BootIt maintenance mode to delete everything else on the 860, again including “clear boot sector,” which might be why I’m getting the Windows repair prompt.
If I format the 860 and start from scratch, should I follow the same process and just delete everything from the start except the 16MB MSR? Since it works and we know the MSR was missing, we’re closer to getting it to work properly, so I’m looking for I hope
final advice on proceeding with a cleanly formatted 860 as a solid foundation for the future.
Also, remember EDGE was keep reverting to Bing engine, it stopped, so seem we are in much better direction of fixing it, don't know yet what fixed it, but I'm sure we find out soon enough
If I format the 860 and start from scratch, should I follow the same process and just delete everything from the start except the 16MB MSR? Since it works and we know the MSR was missing, we’re closer to getting it to work properly, so I’m looking for I hope
Also, remember EDGE was keep reverting to Bing engine, it stopped, so seem we are in much better direction of fixing it, don't know yet what fixed it, but I'm sure we find out soon enough
Last edited by Friendly on Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
I'm not sure what this means.what I did was I formatted the 860
You should just need to copy to Free Space. No prior partition is needed.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
One thing I forgot to mention. If you plan to do a re-copy you should delete the 860 Boot Item before you delete the partition on the 860.
To delete the Boot Item, select it, Delete, Yes for deleting the boot file directory.
Maybe you have been doing this anyway.
To delete the Boot Item, select it, Delete, Yes for deleting the boot file directory.
Maybe you have been doing this anyway.
Last edited by Brian K on Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
I mean e.g. think of me having to put new drive as a test drive instead 860, so it will be initiated in windows, formatted so I am starting with empty drive
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
We’ve been working on this since yesterday, and I almost gave up. After deleting and redoing it so many times, I think I’ve been doing it right, but it seems I need to pay more attention to it.Brian K wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2026 5:28 pm One thing I forgot to mention. If you plan to do a re-copy you should delete the 860 Boot Item before you delete the partition on the 860.
To delete the Boot Item, select it, Delete, Yes for deleting the boot file directory.
Maybe you have been doing this anyway.