Re: 2 Win7 partitions no longer bootable after Upgrade of on
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:56 am
CyberSimian wrote in viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2257&start=40#p12395:
>
> When Windows boots, it checks the "clean/dirty" flag for every NTFS
> partition that it can see; it is not limited to the partition that is booting. So
> after you added the lost partition to the boot item, on next boot Windows would have
> seen that lost partition and checked its "clean/dirty" flag, and run CHKDSK
> if necessary. From the images you posted, it is not possible to tell from which
> partition the error messages originate, but I would guess that it is the
> "lost" partition, and not the partition that you restored from backup.
>
Again on this one, which didn't let me rest: For data recovery purposes I have to avoid the system's writing to the partition to be restored because this would reduce the chances of recovering a maximum of the lost data. That means that as soon as I fill the lost partition in the MBR details of a functioning Windows partition from where I want to restore, I should avoid any restart before having run the data recovery tool. Otherwise I would risk that chkdsk unintentionally wrote to the lost partition. I would not have thought of such a possibility and I was lucky that in my case chkdsk obviously rather repaired than deteriorated the lost partition. That shows me again how important a backup of the lost partition is prior to including it in a functioning Windows' boot item.
>
> When Windows boots, it checks the "clean/dirty" flag for every NTFS
> partition that it can see; it is not limited to the partition that is booting. So
> after you added the lost partition to the boot item, on next boot Windows would have
> seen that lost partition and checked its "clean/dirty" flag, and run CHKDSK
> if necessary. From the images you posted, it is not possible to tell from which
> partition the error messages originate, but I would guess that it is the
> "lost" partition, and not the partition that you restored from backup.
>
Again on this one, which didn't let me rest: For data recovery purposes I have to avoid the system's writing to the partition to be restored because this would reduce the chances of recovering a maximum of the lost data. That means that as soon as I fill the lost partition in the MBR details of a functioning Windows partition from where I want to restore, I should avoid any restart before having run the data recovery tool. Otherwise I would risk that chkdsk unintentionally wrote to the lost partition. I would not have thought of such a possibility and I was lucky that in my case chkdsk obviously rather repaired than deteriorated the lost partition. That shows me again how important a backup of the lost partition is prior to including it in a functioning Windows' boot item.