I discovered that the new memory I purchased is defective. It reported errors in Memtest. I went back to my original memory, and ran Memtest for 6 hours with no errors.
Now I'm re-running images verifying they are working correctly.
Byte-for-byte failure VSS+PHY, but no visible disk issue?
Re: Byte-for-byte failure VSS+PHY, but no visible disk issue
I have been able to install the SSD on SATA Port 0 (with all ports configured as legacy IDE) and successfully image the Toshiba SSD. I only get half the expected performance of the SSD in IDE mode, but it seems to be working reliably at this point.
However in the system log I see thousands of occurrences of Event ID 11: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.
That is for a different drive I think. CHKDSK reports no problems with any drives. Still investigating.
However in the system log I see thousands of occurrences of Event ID 11: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.
That is for a different drive I think. CHKDSK reports no problems with any drives. Still investigating.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Byte-for-byte failure VSS+PHY, but no visible disk issue
try some new sata cables rated for sata3
"timg11" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I have been able to install the SSD on SATA Port 0 (with all ports
configured as legacy IDE) and successfully image the Toshiba SSD. I only
get half the expected performance of the SSD in IDE mode, but it seems to be
working reliably at this point.
However in the system log I see thousands of occurrences of Event ID 11: The
driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.
That is for a different drive I think. CHKDSK reports no problems with any
drives. Still investigating.
"timg11" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I have been able to install the SSD on SATA Port 0 (with all ports
configured as legacy IDE) and successfully image the Toshiba SSD. I only
get half the expected performance of the SSD in IDE mode, but it seems to be
working reliably at this point.
However in the system log I see thousands of occurrences of Event ID 11: The
driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.
That is for a different drive I think. CHKDSK reports no problems with any
drives. Still investigating.
Re: Byte-for-byte failure VSS+PHY, but no visible disk issue
All the ports on the motherboard are SATA2. I have replaced the cables previously with no effect. I don't know if the cables are specifically rated for SATA3 or not. They are short (12") cables. Are you thinking that SATA3 cables are just better quality, so they might help in a marginal electrical situation?
I am not absolutely sure I know what drive corresponds to IdePort1 in the error message. I posted this message <http://superuser.com/questions/679776/d ... n-ideport1> to see if anyone knows if or how they are related.
I changed the ICH9 ports to AHCI mode, and put two drives there on those ports. The third drive is on the Gigabyte SATA port, still running in IDE Mode. I have run IFW backup and it completed normally. No controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1 have appeared in the logs so far.
I am not absolutely sure I know what drive corresponds to IdePort1 in the error message. I posted this message <http://superuser.com/questions/679776/d ... n-ideport1> to see if anyone knows if or how they are related.
I changed the ICH9 ports to AHCI mode, and put two drives there on those ports. The third drive is on the Gigabyte SATA port, still running in IDE Mode. I have run IFW backup and it completed normally. No controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1 have appeared in the logs so far.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Byte-for-byte failure VSS+PHY, but no visible disk issue
Yes, better cables - they can drive you nuts if they have issues. I had a
system I was going to move to a couple years back, never did because RAID
kept breaking and messing up, once I got back to that system it all turned
out to be bad cables.
"timg11" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
All the ports on the motherboard are SATA2. I have replaced the cables
previously with no effect. I don't know if the cables are specifically rated
for SATA3 or not. They are short (12") cables. Are you thinking that SATA3
cables are just better quality, so they might help in a marginal electrical
situation?
I am not absolutely sure I know what drive corresponds to IdePort1 in the
error message. I posted this message
to see if anyone knows if or how they are related.
I changed the ICH9 ports to AHCI mode, and put two drives there on those
ports. The third drive is on the Gigabyte SATA port, still running in IDE
Mode. I have run IFW backup and it completed normally. No controller error
on \Device\Ide\IdePort1 have appeared in the logs so far.
system I was going to move to a couple years back, never did because RAID
kept breaking and messing up, once I got back to that system it all turned
out to be bad cables.
"timg11" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
All the ports on the motherboard are SATA2. I have replaced the cables
previously with no effect. I don't know if the cables are specifically rated
for SATA3 or not. They are short (12") cables. Are you thinking that SATA3
cables are just better quality, so they might help in a marginal electrical
situation?
I am not absolutely sure I know what drive corresponds to IdePort1 in the
error message. I posted this message
to see if anyone knows if or how they are related.
I changed the ICH9 ports to AHCI mode, and put two drives there on those
ports. The third drive is on the Gigabyte SATA port, still running in IDE
Mode. I have run IFW backup and it completed normally. No controller error
on \Device\Ide\IdePort1 have appeared in the logs so far.