Re: Need clarification on IFW and Truecrypt
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:39 pm
TeraByte Support wrote:
> If you restored a single partition outside of encryption (and write
> standard mbr) it would work, but inside it's saying it's unpartitioned, and so it's
> adjusted as such (but it's really not). We'll have to add a some special
> processing for restoring to those truecrypt volumes since they mount per
> partition instead of mounting one unencrypted physical drive.
Well, the MBR wasn't changed at all. It was the first sector of the C partition that was changed. The physical location where a partition is located is written not only in the partition table in the MBR, but also in the first sector of the partition itself. Through the IFL settings, apparently I was able to prevent it from messing with the partition table, but it looks like it still "updated" the location information in the partition.
I've looked at what's included in the changed portion of the Bios Parameter Block, and the item that most likely was changed is the 4-byte Hidden Sectors value. That's the number of sectors on the physical drive before the current sector, or, in other words, where the partition is located on the drive. Since I did away with the 100MB Win 7 boot partition, my HS value is 2048 (00 08 00 00).
Logically, since IFL may be restoring a partition to a different drive than the original, or even to a different place on the original drive, it probably checks to determine where the partition has been installed, and updates both the MBR and the BPB. But of course the data isn't being written to the physical drive, but rather to the Truecrypt-mounted pretend drive, so however it determines where the restoration is being written may not work properly. Well, I'm just guessing, of course. The other possibility is that it is assuming that the 100MB partition is still there, and updates accordingly.
By doing an uncompressed backup of the C partition, I have confirmed that the image itself contains the correct values for the block in question. So the change does occur on the restore, as you said.
What's odd about this is that the restore worked correctly on my D partition, with no changes being made. And since D is a primary partition, it had a BPB too. So I don't understand why it would work in one case, but not in the other. Well, I have more experimenting to do.
But what we really need for these types of backups is an option to let IFL restore the partition, and update nothing at all, either in the MBR or in the BPB - just an exact restoration of the image, and that's all.
> If you restored a single partition outside of encryption (and write
> standard mbr) it would work, but inside it's saying it's unpartitioned, and so it's
> adjusted as such (but it's really not). We'll have to add a some special
> processing for restoring to those truecrypt volumes since they mount per
> partition instead of mounting one unencrypted physical drive.
Well, the MBR wasn't changed at all. It was the first sector of the C partition that was changed. The physical location where a partition is located is written not only in the partition table in the MBR, but also in the first sector of the partition itself. Through the IFL settings, apparently I was able to prevent it from messing with the partition table, but it looks like it still "updated" the location information in the partition.
I've looked at what's included in the changed portion of the Bios Parameter Block, and the item that most likely was changed is the 4-byte Hidden Sectors value. That's the number of sectors on the physical drive before the current sector, or, in other words, where the partition is located on the drive. Since I did away with the 100MB Win 7 boot partition, my HS value is 2048 (00 08 00 00).
Logically, since IFL may be restoring a partition to a different drive than the original, or even to a different place on the original drive, it probably checks to determine where the partition has been installed, and updates both the MBR and the BPB. But of course the data isn't being written to the physical drive, but rather to the Truecrypt-mounted pretend drive, so however it determines where the restoration is being written may not work properly. Well, I'm just guessing, of course. The other possibility is that it is assuming that the 100MB partition is still there, and updates accordingly.
By doing an uncompressed backup of the C partition, I have confirmed that the image itself contains the correct values for the block in question. So the change does occur on the restore, as you said.
What's odd about this is that the restore worked correctly on my D partition, with no changes being made. And since D is a primary partition, it had a BPB too. So I don't understand why it would work in one case, but not in the other. Well, I have more experimenting to do.
But what we really need for these types of backups is an option to let IFL restore the partition, and update nothing at all, either in the MBR or in the BPB - just an exact restoration of the image, and that's all.