Page 3 of 4
Re: Major Version 3?
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:41 am
by TeraByte Support
Nothing special about backing up a VM from within the VM - when your running
inside the VM, it's just like running on a computer as far as the software
knows.
"tanstaafl" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Hi Terabyte,
I'd really appreciate a response - even if the answer is 'No, there is no
documentation specific to using IFW for backing up VMs.'...
Thanks
tanstaafl wrote:
> Also, are there any other concerns with running IFW on a production server
> that is running as a VM (on ESXi in my case)?
>
> Do you have any documentation specific to VM environments - best
> practices,
> do's and - especially - don'ts? Again, nothing in the Manual about VM
> environments (that I can find).
Re: Major Version 3?
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:55 pm
by tanstaafl
TeraByte Support wrote:
> Nothing special about backing up a VM from within the VM...
Thanks Terabyte, but looking back I see I was unclear about my specific concern...
I'm much more concerned about the *restore* process. Specifically, with Windows Server, because sometimes Microsoft creates 'obstacles' (intentionally or not) with 3rd party tools like this...
So... is there anything specific I need to know about *restoring* a Windows Server from one of my backup images?
Thanks again, and sorry for not being clear before.
Charles
Re: Major Version 3?
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:57 pm
by tanstaafl
Also - any chance you can look into why I'm not getting email notifications of Topics I reply to, as I reported here:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/vi ... f=8&t=1220
Thanks
Re: Major Version 3?
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:19 pm
by TeraByte Support
Restoring within a VM is the same as restoring to a machine. So it's
again, the same.
"tanstaafl" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
TeraByte Support wrote:
> Nothing special about backing up a VM from within the VM...
Thanks Terabyte, but looking back I see I was unclear about my specific
concern...
I'm much more concerned about the *restore* process. Specifically, with
Windows Server, because sometimes Microsoft creates 'obstacles'
(intentionally or not) with 3rd party tools like this...
So... is there anything specific I need to know about *restoring* a Windows
Server from one of my backup images?
Thanks again, and sorry for not being clear before.
Charles
Re: Major Version 3?
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:46 pm
by TeraByte Support
Private messaging is disabled, but don't see another setting preventing
forum notification messages unless it's related to that or perhaps getting
caught up in a spam filter???
"tanstaafl" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Also - any chance you can look into why I'm not getting email notifications
of Topics I reply to, as I reported here:
[
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1220
](http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ucf/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1220)
Thanks
Re: Major Version 3?
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:49 pm
by LittleB
TeraByte: What do you think about adding in the scheduling ease of use feature I mentioned earlier?
Re: Major Version 3?
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:18 pm
by tanstaafl
TeraByte Support wrote:
> Private messaging is disabled, but don't see another setting preventing
> forum notification messages unless it's related to that or perhaps getting
> caught up in a spam filter???
No, I'd already checked that, but danged if they didn't start up again...
Weirdness...
Oh well, thanks for checking...
Re: Major Version 3?
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:25 am
by TeraByte Support
Windows already has an easy to use and flexible scheduler - we tend to not
like to add bloat to users systems. They have a newer interface but you
basically have to duplicate what that dialog already does for you. But
overall, we'll look at it again....
"LittleB" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
TeraByte: What do you think about adding in the scheduling ease of use
feature I mentioned earlier?
Re: Major Version 3?
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:04 pm
by a1pcfixer
LittleB,
> If TeraByte made a 'friendlier' version of IFW...I would purchase that in a heartbeat.
Perhaps a dual mode version with Basic & Advanced user interface?
--
Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002
Re: Major Version 3?
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:27 am
by a1pcfixer
LittleB,
> If TeraByte made a 'friendlier' version of IFW...I would purchase that in a heartbeat.
Something rather simple, like having a 'basic' mode and an 'advanced' mode....sure would
boost user base & sales.
--
Jim L.
Using - Virtual Access(OLR)
http://www.virtual-access.org
6.3.0.5 Windows Vista Service Pack 2 build 6002