Re: Copy partition size discrepancy
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2026 7:56 pm
In this case the size shown is the reason I started this thread, the time taken was a side comment in case it helped determined whether something was wrong not the main point.Muad'Dib wrote: Mon Feb 02, 2026 6:59 pm The "size" (number of bytes processed) is irrelevant. What matters is how much time it takes. Without compression, Backup and Copy should take about the same amount of time (for the same size drive). And Byte-for-Byte Validation should take about twice that for either method.
I've just done the same transfer again with validate byte-for-byte and it does indeed show quadruple the size to process. Doubling for validation seems reasonable but for read and write just seems a bit odd from a user perspective. I would have through that 'reading then writing' 50TiB of data with a copy operation was processing 50TiB of data but there we are. At least I know it's intentional now.