Page 3 of 4
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2025 5:48 pm
by Brian K
I just noticed, you have "sda2 fat32 /boot /efi 1.13GB"
Are you using BIBM or BIU?
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2025 9:50 pm
by TeraByte Support
you can't install an OS in UEFI mode and use BootIt BM, you need to use BootIt UEFI. On partition work, it will tell you if using GPT/EMBR/MBR. GPT is used for UEFI, (E)MBR is used for legacy/traditional BIOS mode.
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2025 2:07 pm
by Logman
I am not using UEFI.
All moot as yesterday was a nightmare, lost everything, my main HD was overwritten while trying to install Ubuntu.
Couldn't even reinstall images even though they are fine.
Finally had to install Windows 10 from DVD, got it running and then when I rebooted for some reason I now have my original Windows 10 that was lost along with the new copy. When booting I get a choice of which one to boot so I choose the old one.
Checking with partition work it says " EMBR out of sync " haven't a clue what to do with that.
When I check my HD's with Windows management it shows my HD0 with Windows on it as well as HD1 which also has Windows on it along with a bunch of other files like a Recovery Partition, EFI System partition along with a NTFS Basic partition.
So it looks like my whole setup is screwed and not sure if I'll ever get it all back to normal.
When I try to install BIBM I get an error trying to install it to the main HDO drive where it always used to reside, and it installs to the HD1 drive, but I can't reinstall any images.
Guess I'll have to try an figure out how or if I can get back to my original settings with the multi OS's.
For some reason HD0 and HD1 seem to be intertwined and I'm completely lost so I'm giving up for now, too much stress.
Thanks for your help Brian, it was much appreciated.
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2025 4:20 pm
by TeraByte Support
When you boot from BootIt the EMBR out of Sync from the imaging products will go away, you can also change disk type in those to MBR. If BootIt warns you about something because you're in unlimited mode, you'll have to go to partition work and figure out which partitions are good and delete the others (without any clear options).
If you have an entire drive backup, you can just restore it to get the system back the way it was when backed up.
If you're seeing Unbutu wanting to create / use EFI System partition, you're installing in UEFI mode.
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2025 4:43 pm
by Logman
Thanks for that info.
Good News ! I managed to get my whole system back to normal.
Not sure why but I wiped HD0 and HD1 and left them blank, then I used the Bootit USB stick and instead of choosing to reinstall BIBM which gave me problems, this time I just used Image for Dos to try restoring images and lo & behold they worked !!
So I restored the 5 images for HD0 and this time they all went to the right HD, when I was finished I rebooted and everything is working.
Haven't a clue why it worked this time.
Kinda gun shy about trying the new Ubuntu install now being as it caused me so much grief.
Would be nice if the Ubuntu 24 install was like the old one. I see the Mint install is like the old one where you can choose the Something Else option which is missing in Ubuntu24, just a manual install option. Not going there again.
Sorry if I cluttered the board up with my problem, didn't think it would lead to so much grief.
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2025 5:12 pm
by Brian K
Paul, that's great news you are back to normal. Hooray for images.
I suspect your Ubuntu UFD was the problem. I suggest checking it in Partition Work. Is it GPT or MBR?
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2025 9:07 pm
by Logman
The Ubuntu USB stick ( not too sure what you meant by UFD, Ubuntu Floppy Disk ? ) was formatted by Rufus and I just assume it is MBR.
I will check into it when I'm feeling lucky
Yes, I have gigabytes of images, seems overkill sometimes but it has saved my butt more than once !
Thanks again Brian, I appreciate the time you put into helping others.
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2025 9:14 pm
by Brian K
I've been caught out by Rufus. You have to manually select MBR or GPT.
UFD... USB flash drive.
Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2025 9:27 pm
by Logman
Brian K wrote: Thu Nov 20, 2025 9:14 pm
I've been caught out by Rufus. You have to manually select MBR or GPT.
UFD... USB flash drive.
Well that's a new one on me, something to watch out for now !
Thanks for the UFD explanation

Re: can't install Ubuntu 24.04
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2025 9:41 pm
by Brian K
I'm really interested to hear if your Ubuntu UFD is GPT.