Page 19 of 19

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2026 10:37 pm
by Brian K
A reinstall doesn't remove any Microsoft.xxx and doesn't remove Boot Items.

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2026 3:07 pm
by Friendly
Sorry for not sharing any updates. I got a bit busier after returning from Calgary. I’ll get back to it later today or tomorrow.

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2026 3:45 pm
by Friendly
I've had some time to work on this, none, suggestions worked, absolutely none of them.
I've spent a whole day and nothing made the difference.
I do have very good idea where to problem is, let's just say nothing to do with bootIt UEFI itself.
I don't remember which post, but I did mention of my 860Pro drive sometimes randomly disappearing, that is the problem.
It's either my Sata port or the cable. The cable it's old. I do have a brand new that came with the board
So I will be replacing it later on. If that doesn't work, there's something to do with the port or setting in the bios and I will get to that too.
I went back again and use my boath NVMe's one in DIMM.2 and one in main m.2 slot and even after shrinking OS but using both NVMe's works great, not a hiccup so its either port, cable or there are a few settings for sata that can be adjusted in a bios.
I remember trying both nvmes and so I thought after shrinking I used both, but now I remember when I said even after shrinking using NVMes still didnt work, i might have got mixed up and I haven't used bolth NVMe to test it, it works perfectly now if I don't use 860.
I will replace cable later on, I have a nice braided that came with the board.
No wonder why window would jump to repair, It couldn't find a drive.

Sorry. I'm using my phone to type which is not my preferable way, sorry for the misspells, larage fingers dont help.

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2026 8:17 pm
by Brian K
That's great detective work. I'm glad you are on top of this issue. It has certainly led us down many erroneous paths. I'm looking forward to hearing future updates.

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2026 5:58 am
by Friendly
Got it working :D

I was ready to walk away since it was eating up too much time from everything else I had going on, but we’d put in too much effort to quit, and maybe this will help someone else with a similar problem.

I went back to square one, retraced my steps to see if I’d missed anything, but everything checked out.
I used both of my NVMe drives, Firecuda 530 4TB as the destination with a second Win11 OS, and SN8100 2TB as the main. First, I copied the Win11 OS partition to the Firecuda without resizing, and it worked flawlessly.

Then I deleted that partition from the Firecuda, resized the original OS on the SN8100 to 100000MB, rebooted, and copied the resized partition to the Firecuda’s free space. After another reboot, both OS showed up in the boot menu and started up multiple times without issue.

While using Partition Work, and I have mentioned that at the beginning of this troubleshooting, the Samsung 860 Pro sometimes randomly disappeared. I’d already swapped the cable and confirmed all four ports were fine, so I suspected a BIOS setting.

The x870 Crosshair Extreme has some hidden options, so it took me a bit longer to go through most settings and since NVMe and SATA use different protocols (PCIe vs AHCI), I started thinking about UEFI and SATA. I only then realized what I’d overlooked! Running a SATA SSD in Windows is one thing, but in UEFI it’s another.

Enabling CMC in the BIOS fixed it, and now the SATA drive is recognized in legacy mode as if it were MBR.

I know there are drawbacks of having CMC enabled, it’s slower and outdated, but for now, it’s fine until I can get another decent NVMe, then I’ll switch and use my 860 as a scratch disk in Windows.

Thanks again to Brian and Therabyte support for the help and patience, it means a lot.