Page 15 of 19
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 6:41 pm
by Friendly
Brian K wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2026 6:39 pm
Friendly wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2026 6:36 pm
So, when should I reboot my PC or BUI?
Until we know the cause of your issue, I'd try the method on page 10. I think you have done enough testing of BIU copy.

So now you are giving up.... Just kidding. I shall try later, but tbh., I still don't like that it's not working

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 6:50 pm
by Brian K
Not giving up. Just a diversion.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 6:53 pm
by Brian K
You mentioned fixboot.tbs created a 512 MiB ESP. Do you have two ESP on the 8100?
Sorry, it's your home computer.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 8:09 pm
by Friendly
Following the guide on page #10, no boot, this is some of the craziest troubleshooting I’ve done, though not the longest. Years ago, when I was into water-cooling and had a system that was completely over the top, close to $20K, I ran into an issue that took nearly seven weeks to troubleshoot alongside Aquacomputer developers.
With setups like that, draining water and moving parts around was such a hassle that it soured me on water-cooling entirely, leading me back to air-cooling.
Long story short, it turned out Aquacomputer’s Aquasuite software was causing random reboots and other odd behavior, and by the time they fixed it, I’d had enough.
This current issue doesn’t seem as severe, though it might still be something on my end. What I’ve noticed is that after installing BootIt and running the PC in maintenance mode, my Samsung 860 sometimes disappears from the system, it could be the drive or the SATA port, I’m not sure.
Just for your visual enjoyment, if you’ve ever been into water-cooling:
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 8:18 pm
by Friendly
If it’s not too much trouble, could you take the screenshots I requested earlier? I think something might be missing on the destination drive after the copy.
After toggling between disk changes from MBR to GPT, the small MSR is created, and once the resized OS partition is pasted into the free space, that should be all, but I still feel something is missing.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 8:26 pm
by Brian K
Wow, that's a complicated piece of hardware.
Screenshots to follow....
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 8:34 pm
by Brian K
Screenshots
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 8:39 pm
by Brian K
A few pages back you tried fixboot.tbs. Is the following correct?
You did a BIU copy
After 2 to 3 restarts you got errors on booting
You did fixboot.tbs
After 2 to 3 restarts you got errors on booting
So fixboot.tbs fixed it temporarily?
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 8:50 pm
by Brian K
Friendly wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2026 8:09 pm
Following the guide on page #10, no boot,
Oh! Was there an error message?
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 8:53 pm
by Friendly
Yes, that sounds like what happened. But remember, before I used the fixboot.tbs feature, I was able to boot twice before Windows prompted for repairs, which puzzles me.
One thing I know is that on the 860, when I switch the disk from MBR to GPT, the MSR is created, but after copying the resized OS partition, the EFI isn’t there. When I run fixboot.tbs, it rebuilds the EFI, but maybe that’s where the problem starts.