Standby. I'm doing my test now. After resizing I can do the copy if I leave Partition Work open and do the copy. A few minutes ago I did the resize, closed Partition Work and reopened Partition Work. Then I saw "Unable to open BOOTIT.DAT" and had to restart.
At the end of the copy I saw "Unable to open BOOTIT.DAT".
I'll restart into BIU and then boot the copy.
Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
I booted the copy 4 times, then booted the primary Win11, then booted the copy. No issues. It's certainly frustrating.
It has occurred on two of your computers and not on two of my computers. Somehow we must be doing it differently. But how?
It has occurred on two of your computers and not on two of my computers. Somehow we must be doing it differently. But how?
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Darn it. So, is there a sequence of things I’m doing wrong?
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Do you still want my screen shots?
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
No, that’s OK, thanks.
I wasn’t getting the “Unable to open BOOTIT.DAT” message at first, but after a while I did, and now I can’t remember if it was because I changed sequence of something.
It started showing up at the end of resizing the main OS partition.
The whole point of me getting this to work is too quick of boot to use the secondary OS for testing and such so I don’t wear out my SN8100, but I’ve been reloading the images so many times that I’m kind of defeating the purpose
. I just got another scratch SSD so I can still try to make it work
before switching back to SN
I wasn’t getting the “Unable to open BOOTIT.DAT” message at first, but after a while I did, and now I can’t remember if it was because I changed sequence of something.
It started showing up at the end of resizing the main OS partition.
The whole point of me getting this to work is too quick of boot to use the secondary OS for testing and such so I don’t wear out my SN8100, but I’ve been reloading the images so many times that I’m kind of defeating the purpose
Last edited by Friendly on Tue Mar 24, 2026 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
I don't know what's happening. We are using the same instructions.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
When you get home can you try the method on page 10? Resizing not used.Friendly wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2026 6:19 pm The whole point of me getting this to work is to use the secondary OS for testing and such so I don’t wear out my SN8100, but I’ve been reloading the images so many times that I’m kind of defeating the purpose. I just got another scratch SSD so I can still try to make it work
![]()
Regarding your 8100 wearing out, it's probably good for over 100 years.
These are calculations on my Samsung 970. Guaranteed for 1200 TeraBytes Written. (or 5 years). I write 15 GB daily on average. To write 1200 TB would take 219 years. Really, after 5 years I will have written 27 TB.
Last edited by Brian K on Tue Mar 24, 2026 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
I will try, but I still want to make it work with resizing.
I should try everything again. A few times, just for testing, I closed Partition Works before copying, and other times I didn’t. I’ve done it so many times I can’t remember, but I need to retry.
So, when should I reboot my PC or BUI?
I should try everything again. A few times, just for testing, I closed Partition Works before copying, and other times I didn’t. I’ve done it so many times I can’t remember, but I need to retry.
So, when should I reboot my PC or BUI?
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Until we know the cause of your issue, I'd try the method on page 10. I think you have done enough testing of BIU copy.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Do you restore a backup image after resizing? I just resize back to the original size.