Page 12 of 19
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2026 4:35 am
by Brian K
It's on page 10 and starts with...
"When you get a chance I'd try this..."
Win11 doesn't have to be resized so that makes me hopeful that this method will work.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2026 4:50 am
by Friendly
Oh yeah, I've seen it, thanks a lot, but to be honest, as much as I’d like this to work, I’m just going to stop now. We’ve spent too much time and energy on this, and I’m leaving tomorrow, so thank you for the help and we’ll talk soon.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2026 5:02 am
by Brian K
We have spent a lot of time. Another 10 minutes on something that should work is warranted. Think about it when you have some time.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2026 5:09 am
by Friendly
I'm tired today, so maybe that's just me talking. Tomorrow, while I'm in Calgary and settled, I might give it a try
Thanks Brian
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2026 5:53 am
by Brian K
Friendly, enjoy the travel. Safe trip.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2026 3:29 pm
by Friendly
Thanks, Brian.
Before I go, I might not have much time in Calgary, but I’ll still try your suggestion and some other things while I’m there. I had asked you before about using an IFW backup of a working 860 with Windows 11 that has a BootIt menu and restoring it back to the 860. My question is about the SN8100: once the BootIt menu shows both SN and 860, if I restore the SN image (Main drive), will that erase the 860’s boot menu? Or, to keep both drives’ menus, does the Windows 11 image need to stay intact after BootIt is installed and configured for both drives menu if my question makes sense to you.
How does that work just so I'm prepared.
So, basically, the best way to preserve the menus on both drives would be to back up SN after configuring the 860 am I correct?
By the way, when I used my FireCuda 530 4TB as a secondary drive without resizing, it worked flawlessly. I was not only impressed but hooked on having my system run so smoothly without needing to go directly into the BIOS. I hope that at some point it will work just as flawlessly with resizing.
I have a few smaller NVMe that I could use to install Windows 11 without worrying about resizing, but they’re GEN4. My SN8100 2TB is GEN5 and runs great, staying cool under the motherboard’s GEN5 vapor chamber heatsink, so resizing would be ideal, though it’s currently an issue.
I’m interested in your system specs, since you don’t seem to be having the same problems.
I think the issue is less about my method as I have followed your guide . for . and more likely tied to the drives or system setup itself, unless, depending on how popular the BootIt Menu is, other users have the same problem but don’t report it, or it’s just entirely on my end.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2026 5:22 pm
by Friendly
TeraByte Support(PP) wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2026 8:43 pm
I would just ask to verify that when you tried fixboot.tbs that you actually tried having it rebuild the boot configuration data. There are other options in there too and don't recall if rebuild was specified. It should find the boot data for the selected Windows (the one that won't boot properly) and then bring up the second menu where repair is the last menu option (before Exit). Select repair and then select the "Delete and recreate..." option to rebuild it.
Sorry, going back and forth with this I forgot to answer you, my apology.
When I ran fixboot.tbs, I don’t fully remember the menu, but there were a few options. If I recall correctly, one was to rebuild the boot configuration, then I had choice of minimal or full or complete rebuild I can't remember, I wish I was taking snapshots of the menu I chose the full option, and it rebuilt everything, giving me a directory where the rebuild was stored. It also added 512MB EFI. After that, it booted smoothly two or three times but then went back into Windows repair mode again.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2026 7:39 pm
by Brian K
Friendly wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2026 5:22 pm
It also added 512MB EFI. After that, it booted smoothly two or three times but then went back into Windows repair mode again.
Did it resize your ESP from 200 to 512 MiB or do you now have two ESPs?
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2026 8:05 pm
by Brian K
So, basically, the best way to preserve the menus on both drives would be to back up SN after configuring the 860 am I correct?
Yes, as soon as you have both OS working properly, backup the 8100 and the 860. The ESP contains the new Microsoft.xxx and the Boot Menu.
if I restore the SN image (Main drive), will that erase the 860’s boot menu?
No, because the Boot Menu is in the ESP. In the BootIt folders. The image you create of the 8100 after completing the copy will have the latest ESP.
If you want to resize the Win11 partition on the 8100 in the future, that should be OK. But this is resizing after you have made the copy.
I’m interested in your system specs,
Test computer
CPU Intel Core i3-12100
MB Gigabyte B660M Aurus Pro DDR 4
RAM 8 GB DDR4
Primary drive Samsung SSD 970 Pro 1 TB
Main computer
CPU Intel Core i7-9700KF
MB Gigabyte Z390 Aurus Master-CF
RAM 32 GB DDR4
Primary drive Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Summary of new procedure
Use an image of your 8100 that contains a full size Win11 partition
Restore the Win11 partition from this image to Free Space on the 860. Don't forget to use the Change GUID option.
Do the BIU copy
Do fixboot.tbs
Create a Boot Item for the copy
Good luck.
Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2026 9:15 pm
by Friendly
[quoteif I restore the SN image (Main drive), will that erase the 860’s boot menu?][/quote]
No, because the Boot Menu is in the ESP. In the BootIt folders. The image you create of the 8100 after completing the copy will have the latest ESP.
I should have clarified. What I mean is, if I restore the SN8100 image created before installing BootIt, a fresh image made right after installing Windows 11 on the SN, it makes sense that it wouldn’t contain any information and couldn’t magically enable the 860 to be restored with the menu.
Thank you for the guide on the new procedure
Well, my plane takes off in 4 hours, so it’s time to get ready.
Thank you for everything. I’ll stay in touch.