Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal, BootIt UEFI and PartWork for Windows
TeraByte Support(PP)
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

I would just ask to verify that when you tried fixboot.tbs that you actually tried having it rebuild the boot configuration data. There are other options in there too and don't recall if rebuild was specified. It should find the boot data for the selected Windows (the one that won't boot properly) and then bring up the second menu where repair is the last menu option (before Exit). Select repair and then select the "Delete and recreate..." option to rebuild it.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Brian K »

Friendly,

Now is the perfect time to try (PP)'s suggestion.



However, as soon as I resized the SN8100 OS partition, no matter the size, the system wouldn’t boot.
I'm a little confused. Are you referring to resizing the Win11 partition on the 8100 after doing the copy. Or before?
Friendly
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Friendly »

Like we’ve been doing before, I think resizing is what’s corrupting the partition.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Brian K »

It certainly seems so. On your computer, not on mine. Interesting tests. Strange, as the resized partition on the 8100 continues to boot normally. Only the copy is affected and only after a couple of reboots.

We are interested to know if fixboot will fix it.
Friendly
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Friendly »

Brian K wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2026 10:32 pm It certainly seems so. On your computer, not on mine. Interesting tests. Strange, as the resized partition on the 8100 continues to boot normally. Only the copy is affected and only after a couple of reboots.

We are interested to know if fixboot will fix it.
I’ll make one last attempt and try again. I remember running fixboot and selecting “Repair the boot configuration in partition (Basic data recovery) folder MS.001,” but there was also another option for either a minimal or full configuration. Honestly, I don’t recall which one I chose, so this time I’ll pay closer attention to everything and report back soon.
Even if it works, I suspect something isn’t functioning quite right, and maybe Terabyte could look into it to make BootIt UEFI even better than it already is.
Be back soon.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Brian K »

The item to repair would be Microsoft.002 or some number other than 001. Microsoft.001 is for Win11 on the 8100.

I'd also check for multiple Microsoft.xxx

BIU, Text Editor, Open, double click the ..

Scroll down to check for multiple Microsoft.xxx
I had multiple files after repeated copies. Multiple files can fill the space in the ESP.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Brian K »

A thought. After you resize the Win11 partition on the 8100, do you start the BIU copy immediately or do you restart first. I restart first.
Friendly
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Friendly »

Well... I tried a few things, but none of them worked, so I’m officially done :D It didn’t turn out as I expected, but it was still a good experience. I ran fixboot.tbs, and it booted fine twice before slipping back into repair mode. Disappointing, but not the end of the world.
Brian K
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Brian K »

You haven't yet tried my latest method which doesn't require a resize of Win11 on the 8100.
Friendly
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Re: Two Separate Drives and Win11 OS

Post by Friendly »

Brian K wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2026 3:35 am You haven't yet tried my latest method which doesn't require a resize of Win11 on the 8100.
Sorry, where did I miss?
Also, I know I’ve asked this before, but if it worked, I could use IFW to do back up that drive that has the menu in BootIt, then restore it to my main SN8100 and have it back in the menu.
I assume the SN8100 would need to be in the same state as when the 680 was added to the menu, otherwise, if I restored the SN8100 with IFW with fresh image, then installed BootIt and restored the 860, the menu would be lost, am I assuming correctly if that make sense.
Post Reply