BING doesn't support GPT, BIBM does - you'd want to boot BIBM in legacy
mode.
"ohaya" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Hi,
I just got a new laptop, a Toshiba C855-S5803, that has Windows 8 installed
on it, and a UEFI BIOS, so I guess that I'm getting a rude introduction to
the 'new' world of UEFI BIOSes

....
The BIOS came with UEFI and Secure Boot enabled, with the Win8
pre-installed. I was originally thinking that I could do things like I use
to with BING, i.e., repartition, etc., but I guess not now. I tried setting
the BIOS to "CSM" which diables UEFI, and was actually able to boot to a
BING CD, but BING saw only 1 ~2TB partition with an error (the laptop
actually has only a 500GB drive).
So, I think that I may need to think about moving to BIBM for this laptop,
plus I am building a new PC, with a new mobo, an Asus P9X79 LE, which I
think also has a UEFI BIOS, but have some questions:
1) Assuming that both the laptop and the new P9X79 mobo allow disabling
secure boot and UEFI, then, would both the laptop and new PC work the same
way as before, and I could just use BING with both of them, just like
before? Or, do I have to move to BIBM to work with the laptop and the
P9X79?
2) From what I can tell, most, maybe all of the BIOSes that support UEFI
allow you to disable secure boot and UEFI, so I was wondering, is there
something that would force me to use those in UEFI/secure boot mode, rather
than non-UEFI mode?
3) Assuming that I *did* want to keep the laptop/PC BIOSes in UEFI mode, if
I used BIBM instead of BING, could I do everything that I use to do with
BING but with BIBM? I think that one thing that going to UEFI would give me
is support for 3TB drives, but I don't have (or need) any 3TB drives (my
largest drives are 2TB, which work fine with BING).
Sorry for all the questions!!
Thanks,
Jim