Re: Win8 Upgrade
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:54 pm
"DrTeeth" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 10:28:02 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
"Ed."
disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>After reading it, I looked too and found this blog that explains also just
>what you were saying.
I am just wondering if using the upgrade assistant will tie a copy of
win 8 to a given PC like an OEM licence. I upgrade my PC every 2-3
years and would not be happy if I could not reinstall like a retail
copy (upgrade or not).
*******************************************************
I am wondering the same thing and that's why I am trying to find out about
doing a clean install.
I would hate to get the upgrade and find out down the road I can't use it
for a clean install.
Last night I ran the upgrade assistant. It searched my computer and showed
all compatible devices and programs.
It showed one program not compatible.
After it completed, I click next and select any of the three options on
keeping files, not keeping them or nothing which I guess nothing would be
the iso file that the blog I read says you can do a clean install with as
also what you said. Then you click next and wants your name, etc. and
billing info and of course for the time being I just click cancel.
I also saw somewhere on an MS site about doing a clean install. In the MS
forums today folks that have downloaded the upgrade said they were on a
32-bit OS PC and wanted to go to a 64-bit OS but the download gave them
32-bit. The upgrade assistant gives what it sees you currently have. Those
folks said they just called and cancelled it and they told them it would
take 14 days to get their money back. They then installed 64-bit win7 and
ran the upgrade assistant and they received the 64-bit.
But if what if you don't have a current OS installed ? If maybe like you
built a new computer. You can't run the upgrade assistant so you would have
to get the DVD for 30 bucks more.
Someone said the the upgrade iso was only 2 something GB and that if you got
the DVD you have both the 32 and 64 on it to choose from. I don't know yet
and guess why I will wait awhile to see what is going on.
Also last night on the ms site
--
Cheers
DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).