Re: Feature request: omit folders
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:28 pm
Yes, there's a lot of perplexing info about how to put
C:\Users or equivalents on a separate partition.
The following's not directly on topic, I know, but it might
be a help to the OP, as a kind or workaround, and some other responses have raised the
topic. In my opinion the OP's suggestion sounds super handy:
the following is not intended to detract from it in any way.
This is how I got Win 7 C:\Users on a separate partition.
1. Make a new partition on disk 0 (for C:\Users data), e.g.
after shrinking/compacting an existing partition.
So now disk 0 has the following partitions:
C:, G: (in addition to system and restore partitions)
2. Use the wonderful IFW to clone disk 0 to an identical disk, disk 1
Now on disk 1 partitions H: and J: correspond to partitions
C: and G: on disk 0. (H and J here are used for illustration as
I can't remember the actual letters.)
3. robocopy /mir /xj H:\Users J:\
(This takes a while.)
4. On H: , move Users to origUsers (a precaution, to save robocopying
everything back again if it all goes wrong). Then mkdir Users.
5. Go to Disk Management, right click on partition J: in disk 1.
Select Drive Letter and Paths. Then Add, to mount in the empty
H:\Users folder.
6. Shutdown. Replace disk 0 by disk 1 and reboot.
Now C:\Users is on a different partition, G:. Note there's no use of
explicit symbolic linking, mklink, etc, that are often recommended,
in the foregoing procedure.
Done this a few times & without any problem in the procedure.
So far, about a week only, everything works beautifully. Except
disk cloning, as mentioned in another post today. (The latter
maybe because I've missed something obvious--I'm new to Windows.)
Note: Coming from a long-term Unix background, I wanted to push
things to the next step, i.e. remove the drive letter from the
mounted drive G:. This too worked fine until I found that
one vital program would not start when the filesystem was configured
without a drive letter (the treasured mobaxterm Xserver, would you
believe). So have gone back to using drive letters ... Windows warns
about this issue: I just hoped the warning was applicable only to v. old programs.
I'm posting this here (a great forum) in case it's useful to anyone
else. OTOH, criticisms are super-welcome. It may all be wrong, for
some subtle reason beyond the ken of an amateur.
Regards,
Rick
C:\Users or equivalents on a separate partition.
The following's not directly on topic, I know, but it might
be a help to the OP, as a kind or workaround, and some other responses have raised the
topic. In my opinion the OP's suggestion sounds super handy:
the following is not intended to detract from it in any way.
This is how I got Win 7 C:\Users on a separate partition.
1. Make a new partition on disk 0 (for C:\Users data), e.g.
after shrinking/compacting an existing partition.
So now disk 0 has the following partitions:
C:, G: (in addition to system and restore partitions)
2. Use the wonderful IFW to clone disk 0 to an identical disk, disk 1
Now on disk 1 partitions H: and J: correspond to partitions
C: and G: on disk 0. (H and J here are used for illustration as
I can't remember the actual letters.)
3. robocopy /mir /xj H:\Users J:\
(This takes a while.)
4. On H: , move Users to origUsers (a precaution, to save robocopying
everything back again if it all goes wrong). Then mkdir Users.
5. Go to Disk Management, right click on partition J: in disk 1.
Select Drive Letter and Paths. Then Add, to mount in the empty
H:\Users folder.
6. Shutdown. Replace disk 0 by disk 1 and reboot.
Now C:\Users is on a different partition, G:. Note there's no use of
explicit symbolic linking, mklink, etc, that are often recommended,
in the foregoing procedure.
Done this a few times & without any problem in the procedure.
So far, about a week only, everything works beautifully. Except
disk cloning, as mentioned in another post today. (The latter
maybe because I've missed something obvious--I'm new to Windows.)
Note: Coming from a long-term Unix background, I wanted to push
things to the next step, i.e. remove the drive letter from the
mounted drive G:. This too worked fine until I found that
one vital program would not start when the filesystem was configured
without a drive letter (the treasured mobaxterm Xserver, would you
believe). So have gone back to using drive letters ... Windows warns
about this issue: I just hoped the warning was applicable only to v. old programs.
I'm posting this here (a great forum) in case it's useful to anyone
else. OTOH, criticisms are super-welcome. It may all be wrong, for
some subtle reason beyond the ken of an amateur.
Regards,
Rick