BIU no longer booting automatically in new computer
Re: BIU no longer booting automatically in new computer
Have you tried disabling all items in Boot Option Priorities except BootIt? Linux and WBM don't need to be in that list at all. Just a single item, "BootIt UEFI".
Re: BIU no longer booting automatically in new computer
I sort of forgot about your earlier suggestion as I got caught up in my testing, uninstalling and reinstalling Linux and studying the results [of testing]. Anyway, I did try your suggestion and the results were...well, weird. The end result was still a blank screen. I went back into the BIOS to confirm BIU was still the only option and it was. But when I exited the BIOS discarding changes - of which there weren't any - it worked! But only that first time - subsequent reboots were back to the blank screen. I eventually discovered that going into the BIOS and exciting discarding changes would work, but only the first time, while exiting and saving changes didn't work. In neither case were any changes actually made. So why should saving or discarding non-existent changes make a difference, albeit temporary?
Like I said, weird. I'm being to think the underlying problem is some sort of conflict between the BIOS and BIU. Maybe a future BIOS update will fix it. In the meantime, I'll have to stick with 'Windows Boot Manager' as the boot priority and use the BIOS' direct boot list for BIU or LInux.
Like I said, weird. I'm being to think the underlying problem is some sort of conflict between the BIOS and BIU. Maybe a future BIOS update will fix it. In the meantime, I'll have to stick with 'Windows Boot Manager' as the boot priority and use the BIOS' direct boot list for BIU or LInux.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: BIU no longer booting automatically in new computer
The first the BootIt does once loaded and run is print out the message on the black screen so if it's not printing that, the firmware isn't loading and executing it correctly.
Re: BIU no longer booting automatically in new computer
Does reinstalling BIU make any difference to what is currently happening?
Re: BIU no longer booting automatically in new computer
To TeraByte Support:
BIU is loaded and executed when Linux isn't there, but not when Linux is installed. Like I've said many times: weird. I spend the vast majority of my time in Windows anyway, so I can live with the current situation of having to go into the BIOS to boot BIU or LInux.
To Brian K:
Yep, tried that before and again and it doesn't make a difference.
BIU is loaded and executed when Linux isn't there, but not when Linux is installed. Like I've said many times: weird. I spend the vast majority of my time in Windows anyway, so I can live with the current situation of having to go into the BIOS to boot BIU or LInux.
To Brian K:
Yep, tried that before and again and it doesn't make a difference.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: BIU no longer booting automatically in new computer
what version of debian?
what if you rename the mmx64.efi file in both locations?
it doesn't actually boot bootit.efi directly, it boots the bootx64.efi first.
what if you rename the mmx64.efi file in both locations?
it doesn't actually boot bootit.efi directly, it boots the bootx64.efi first.
Re: BIU no longer booting automatically in new computer
I installed debian 13.5. They upgraded to 13.6 just yesterday, but I've kept 13.5 updated, so I doubt there's any difference.
I renamed both mmx64.efi files and nothing changed.
So bootx64.efi comes first, then hands off to bootit.efi (or bootmfgw.efi or whatever)? Then when debian is installed, it's not handing off to bootit.efi properly. Yet it hands off to bootmfgw.efi (for Windows) or shimx64.efi (for debian). Got me.
I renamed both mmx64.efi files and nothing changed.
So bootx64.efi comes first, then hands off to bootit.efi (or bootmfgw.efi or whatever)? Then when debian is installed, it's not handing off to bootit.efi properly. Yet it hands off to bootmfgw.efi (for Windows) or shimx64.efi (for debian). Got me.