Page 2 of 2
Re: Ghost Menu Entries
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2026 6:24 am
by odos
OHKaaay an update.
I’ve spent a few days testing various things on my system and what I found was
1) It made no difference ensuring all my OS partitions had the rename option selected
2) It made no difference removing/deleting the script I was using.
3) Even with both of those things done together I still got ghost entries appearing in my Bootit menu.
Whilst thinking about what was happening, one thing I realised that was not standard on my system was that I had ( as always) renamed the indexed Windows bootloader directories on the EFI partition changing them from Microsoft.001, 002 .003 etc to something more meaningful so I knew which partition they referred to.
I changed them back to Microsoft.001, 002 .003 etc a couple of days ago and I have not had a single ghost entry appear in my Bootit menu since.
Why this should be I have no idea as my system has been running fine with the altered directory names for quite some time, the only thing I can think could possibly have affected it is the latest windows 11 update as I believe the problem started after that was installed a couple of weeks ago but my memory is a little bit hazy about that.
So anyway, net result, no ghost menu entries have appeared for a few days so hopefully it’s cured.
Odos
Re: Ghost Menu Entries
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2026 10:24 am
by Ludwig
Hello odos
Which program did you use to rename bootloader directories in the efi partition ?
Thanks Ludwig
Re: Ghost Menu Entries
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2026 1:22 pm
by odos
Hi Ludwig
all I did was use Partition Work 2 to change the EFI partition type to normal data and assign a drive letter to that partition. Sometimes you have to reboot before windows will let you access the partition.
Once the Partition appears as drive open the drive and simply right click the bootloader directory you want to rename then select rename and enter the new name just like renaming any directory.
Once you have renamed what you want renaming just use Partition Work 2 to change the partition type back to EFI system partition. Now reboot.
IMPORTANT
Before trying to start any OS you’ve renamed the directory for you must start the Edit Boot Menu in BootIT UI and change the Boot File box to access your renamed directory.
Hope this is understandable and helps
Odos
Re: Ghost Menu Entries
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2026 11:10 pm
by Brian K
A quicker method is to rename the directory in BIU. Use tbexplo.tbs in the Run menu.
Re: Ghost Menu Entries
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2026 12:13 am
by TeraByte Support
or better, don't mess with the names so that BIU can manage the directories.