Page 2 of 2

Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:16 pm
by Brian K
Thanks. I just tried a GPT UEFI IFL UFD in my main computer with Secure Boot enabled. Same error as above.

But good luck with my number 2 computer. IFL UFD failed to boot with Secure Boot enabled in mid year. I installed the July BIOS (latest) update and got a few boots out of the IFL UFD before it failed when Secure Boot was enabled. I just installed the July BIOS again and I've had 4 successes with IFL UFD when Secure Boot is enabled. Let's see if it persists.

Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:20 pm
by OldNavyGuy
Brian K wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:16 pm Thanks. I just tried a GPT UEFI IFL UFD in my main computer with Secure Boot enabled. Same error as above.

But good luck with my number 2 computer. IFL UFD failed to boot with Secure Boot enabled in mid year. I installed the July BIOS (latest) update and got a few boots out of the IFL UFD before it failed when Secure Boot was enabled. I just installed the July BIOS again and I've had 4 successes with IFL UFD when Secure Boot is enabled. Let's see if it persists.
Interesting.

The BIOS on my test system is ancient (2014).

Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:11 pm
by Brian K
The IFL UFD still boots with Secure Boot enabled in my number 2 computer.

My number 1 computer is almost 4 years old. BIOS is 2 years old yet an IFL UFD doesn't boot with Secure Boot enabled. This commenced a few months ago. But IFL on my SSD boots from BIU with Secure Boot enabled.

So it doesn't bother me as I always use IFL on the SSD for restores. If my drive failed I simply have to disable Secure Boot and use a UFD.

Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:13 am
by OldNavyGuy
Brian K wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:11 pm The IFL UFD still boots with Secure Boot enabled in my number 2 computer.

My number 1 computer is almost 4 years old. BIOS is 2 years old yet an IFL UFD doesn't boot with Secure Boot enabled.
Are you using the same UFD for both?

Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:13 am
by Brian K
Yes. And I've tried several UFDs.

IFL is the only UFD that doesn't boot with secure boot enabled in my number 1 computer.

Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:03 am
by Brian K
Brian K wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:11 pm The IFL UFD still boots with Secure Boot enabled in my number 2 computer.
I checked this computer today. It no longer boots an IFL UFD with Secure Boot enabled.
This has happened before.

Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:23 am
by OldNavyGuy
Are these both Windows systems?

Might have something to do with the Windows Boot Manager revocations for Secure Boot changes back in July.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... ply5025885

Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:00 am
by Brian K
Both are Win11 Pro with BIU.

Thanks for the link. I don't understand what Microsoft requires so I'll just wait and see if a future update fixes the issue.

Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:26 am
by OldNavyGuy
It's a three step process, which is outlined in the "Take Action" section.

The "Deployment guidelines" section tells you exactly what needs to be done for each of the three steps.

Also note the sentence in the "Scope of Impact" section..."Linux systems that rely on Secure Boot may also be affected by this issue."

Re: Boot USB fails on IFL v3.57 UEFI

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:58 am
by Brian K
My Windows is up to date so I assume I can go to the add registry key step and then try to boot UFD media. Is that your understanding?

I have no problems with Windows Boot Manager. I only have problems with UFD IFL and UFD Linux boots with Secure Boot.