Semi-Automate IFL Backup
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
You can boot an iMac from USB no problem (at least any I've dealt with).
You need to use the GPT option in makedisk.
Plug in the UFD, then hold down the option key when turning on the iMac and
keep holding it until you get a choice.
"AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
After some Googling, it appears that you can't do it (boot from UFD on a
MAC), so, here's where I am - find out why (then find a cure) a full
drive image always wants to use RAM (on my machine at any rate).
You need to use the GPT option in makedisk.
Plug in the UFD, then hold down the option key when turning on the iMac and
keep holding it until you get a choice.
"AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
After some Googling, it appears that you can't do it (boot from UFD on a
MAC), so, here's where I am - find out why (then find a cure) a full
drive image always wants to use RAM (on my machine at any rate).
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
On 2013-04-10 9:52 PM, Brian K wrote:
> Alan,
>
> Are you concerned about using IFW in Windows when it uses VSS instead of PHYLock? My wife's Asus Win8 tablet won't use PHYLock and I don't know why. VSS works fine.
>
>
Go figure, mine is just the opposite-it won't use VSS, and neither will
my PC. Problem is, when RAM is used, backup always fails, no matter what
parameters are changed
> Alan,
>
> Are you concerned about using IFW in Windows when it uses VSS instead of PHYLock? My wife's Asus Win8 tablet won't use PHYLock and I don't know why. VSS works fine.
>
>
Go figure, mine is just the opposite-it won't use VSS, and neither will
my PC. Problem is, when RAM is used, backup always fails, no matter what
parameters are changed
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
On 2013-04-10 11:01 PM, TeraByte Support wrote:
> You can boot an iMac from USB no problem (at least any I've dealt with).
> You need to use the GPT option in makedisk.
>
> Plug in the UFD, then hold down the option key when turning on the iMac and
> keep holding it until you get a choice.
>
> "AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> After some Googling, it appears that you can't do it (boot from UFD on a
> MAC), so, here's where I am - find out why (then find a cure) a full
> drive image always wants to use RAM (on my machine at any rate).
>
>
>
>
will try that, once I figure how to do the rest of the dance with the UFD
> You can boot an iMac from USB no problem (at least any I've dealt with).
> You need to use the GPT option in makedisk.
>
> Plug in the UFD, then hold down the option key when turning on the iMac and
> keep holding it until you get a choice.
>
> "AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> After some Googling, it appears that you can't do it (boot from UFD on a
> MAC), so, here's where I am - find out why (then find a cure) a full
> drive image always wants to use RAM (on my machine at any rate).
>
>
>
>
will try that, once I figure how to do the rest of the dance with the UFD
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
On 2013-04-10 11:01 PM, TeraByte Support wrote:
> You can boot an iMac from USB no problem (at least any I've dealt with).
> You need to use the GPT option in makedisk.
>
> Plug in the UFD, then hold down the option key when turning on the iMac and
> keep holding it until you get a choice.
>
> "AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> After some Googling, it appears that you can't do it (boot from UFD on a
> MAC), so, here's where I am - find out why (then find a cure) a full
> drive image always wants to use RAM (on my machine at any rate).
>
>
>
>
OK
formatted UFD layout as: Partition - GPT UEFI System Partition
successfully booted into IFL with this UFD
created Command line for BACKUP whole drive
configured UFD with custom command line
HOWEVER, received this error msg upon first attempt to use UFD:
"parameter b found before operation known"
here is my command line used for mods (it looks just like examples,
except mine is not a Restore operation):
--b --d:L0 --f:L2@0x1:"/Backup-L0-$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD" --vb --comp:14
what I am doing wrong?
thanks
AlanD
> You can boot an iMac from USB no problem (at least any I've dealt with).
> You need to use the GPT option in makedisk.
>
> Plug in the UFD, then hold down the option key when turning on the iMac and
> keep holding it until you get a choice.
>
> "AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> After some Googling, it appears that you can't do it (boot from UFD on a
> MAC), so, here's where I am - find out why (then find a cure) a full
> drive image always wants to use RAM (on my machine at any rate).
>
>
>
>
OK
formatted UFD layout as: Partition - GPT UEFI System Partition
successfully booted into IFL with this UFD
created Command line for BACKUP whole drive
configured UFD with custom command line
HOWEVER, received this error msg upon first attempt to use UFD:
"parameter b found before operation known"
here is my command line used for mods (it looks just like examples,
except mine is not a Restore operation):
--b --d:L0 --f:L2@0x1:"/Backup-L0-$~YYYY$-$~MM$-$~DD" --vb --comp:14
what I am doing wrong?
thanks
AlanD
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
On 2013-04-10 11:01 PM, TeraByte Support wrote:
> You can boot an iMac from USB no problem (at least any I've dealt with).
> You need to use the GPT option in makedisk.
>
> Plug in the UFD, then hold down the option key when turning on the iMac and
> keep holding it until you get a choice.
>
> "AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> After some Googling, it appears that you can't do it (boot from UFD on a
> MAC), so, here's where I am - find out why (then find a cure) a full
> drive image always wants to use RAM (on my machine at any rate).
>
>
>
>
meant to ask
why is there no "create Backup Disc" option in Linux menu?
I just basically mentally translated word Restore to Backup every time I
saw it, but it would be nice to add a "Create backup disc" option to menu
I couldn't find any way to use my Function keys on the MAC keyboard
while booted into IFL - another quirk I guess
> You can boot an iMac from USB no problem (at least any I've dealt with).
> You need to use the GPT option in makedisk.
>
> Plug in the UFD, then hold down the option key when turning on the iMac and
> keep holding it until you get a choice.
>
> "AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> After some Googling, it appears that you can't do it (boot from UFD on a
> MAC), so, here's where I am - find out why (then find a cure) a full
> drive image always wants to use RAM (on my machine at any rate).
>
>
>
>
meant to ask
why is there no "create Backup Disc" option in Linux menu?
I just basically mentally translated word Restore to Backup every time I
saw it, but it would be nice to add a "Create backup disc" option to menu
I couldn't find any way to use my Function keys on the MAC keyboard
while booted into IFL - another quirk I guess
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
>
> HOWEVER, received this error msg upon first attempt to use UFD:
> "parameter b found before operation known"
>
Alan,
I just set up a backup and received the same error. Error Code 61. However a restore works fine. I hope Tom can give us the answer.
> HOWEVER, received this error msg upon first attempt to use UFD:
> "parameter b found before operation known"
>
Alan,
I just set up a backup and received the same error. Error Code 61. However a restore works fine. I hope Tom can give us the answer.
-
TeraByte Support(PP)
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
I think it's because tbirest is being used (the log should show this). The standard "Restore Disc" only supports restoring and validating.
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
Thanks Paul, that explains it. Sorry Alan.
Edit.... You can use TBWinRE to do your auto backup. It is very easy to set up.
Edit.... You can use TBWinRE to do your auto backup. It is very easy to set up.
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
On 2013-04-11 7:58 PM, Brian K wrote:
> Thanks Paul, that explains it. Sorry Alan.
>
>
thanks, guys
interesting exercise it was.
you know, it would 'seem' to be a trivial matter for TB to fix this.
I complained about there not being a "backup" version, so we'll see.
strictly an aside, I noticed while paying close attention to the Linux
interface that the font used provides practically no distinction between
lower case L and number 1, and also the number 0 looks way too much like
a capital letter O. These problems are exaggerated on my 13" laptop for
sure.
Does anyone know of a better font for general use which avoids this?
> Thanks Paul, that explains it. Sorry Alan.
>
>
thanks, guys
interesting exercise it was.
you know, it would 'seem' to be a trivial matter for TB to fix this.
I complained about there not being a "backup" version, so we'll see.
strictly an aside, I noticed while paying close attention to the Linux
interface that the font used provides practically no distinction between
lower case L and number 1, and also the number 0 looks way too much like
a capital letter O. These problems are exaggerated on my 13" laptop for
sure.
Does anyone know of a better font for general use which avoids this?
-
TeraByte Support(PP)
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am
Re: Semi-Automate IFL Backup
You would need to create a custom version of the full IFL boot media that contains the backup script. See http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=464 and http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ ... _linux.htm.