Page 2 of 2

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:11 pm
by T-Rhex
Thanks Brian. Yes, I had been following your thread.
Terabyte's awesome but I find the number of options/settings bewildering at times, as they keep adding features.
Here goes a test restore...

Trevor

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:22 pm
by T-Rhex
Oh oh. [double post]

I restored the OS partition (C:) using a TBWinRE 2.80 boot CD. The only option I clicked on for the restore was "Validate byte-for-byte"; the restore completed and when the validation started I got the following error:

"The boot sector is being cleared due to partial completion.

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:10 pm
by T-Rhex
[triple post]

I retried the restore, only C: partition, but this time using "automatic" and it completed successfully. What would be the difference?

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:12 pm
by TeraByte Support
partial completion = it didn't fully complete (canceled or something along
those lines).

"T-Rhex" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Oh oh. [double post]

I restored the OS partition (C:) using a TBWinRE 2.80 boot CD. The only
option I clicked on for the restore was "Validate byte-for-byte"; the
restore completed and when the validation started I got the following error:

"The boot sector is being cleared due to partial completion.


Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:23 pm
by T-Rhex
Thanks but as far as I could tell, it had completed. The backup had completed fully (with validate byte-for-byte successful); I had not interrupted the restore and the progress went to 100%. Then at the very start of validation, it failed with the error message. It could've been an anomaly but in all the times I've used IFD/IFL on other (non-Win8) systems I've never had an error before. I was wondering if I hadn't selected an option during manual restore that would've been selected during automatic (did I need to set the partition active? I'm not sure with Win8 because the hidden boot partition is active).

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:04 pm
by Brian K
Did the Automatic restore run Validate?

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:58 pm
by T-Rhex
Yes, I noticed it had run a validation, presumably because I used validate byte-for-byte during the backup.

Re: IFD/IFL with Win8

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:39 am
by DrTeeth
On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:58:11 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
T-Rhex disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Yes, I noticed it had run a validation, presumably because I used validate byte-for-byte during the backup.

Validating during the backup does not force a validate on restore. I
ALWAYS validate on backing up, but never on restoring.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).