Replacing the MBR

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
P19

Replacing the MBR

Post by P19 »

On one of my PCs, on which I run a few different Linux OSes, it became necessary for me to reinstall Grub legacy after one of the OS had written over the code for booting from the MBR with Grub2, which I do not want to use on the MBR as the primary boot manager for this machine. I booted into a Linux live CD rescue disk and had it boot the OS whose root is on /dev/sda3. This OS uses grub legacy, installed on /dev/sda1 partition. Once booted into it, I just used this command to reinstall Grub legacy: "grub-install /dev/sda". This was all I needed to do to get it back to normal, with Grub legacy on the MBR as my primary boot loader. It boots correctly now. On /dev/sda1/boot/grub.conf, the configuration file is correct. this Grub configuration file allows me to boot an OS on /dev/sda3, and it also has an entry to allow me to chain-load to a different Linux OS on a second disk labelled as /dev/sdb, which also has grub legacy installed.

There is a third Linux operating system installed also on the first disk at /dev/sda in an extended partition starting at /dev/sda4. This system makes use of Grub2 and it has an encrypted root partition. I boot into it not from Grub legacy on the MBR but from a special CD environment. It now boots correctly too.

So, all is well, except for one small issue. I recently made a complete backup of this first disk with IFL CD environment. Now that I have changed the MBR, I would like, if possible, to update only the MBR on the backup. Can this be done? Thanks.
TeraByte Support

Re: Replacing the MBR

Post by TeraByte Support »

no, not as part of the backup - you'd have to create a new one.

"P19" wrote in message news:8576@public.image...

So, all is well, except for one small issue. I recently made a complete
backup of this first disk with IFL CD environment. Now that I have changed
the MBR, I would like, if possible, to update only the MBR on the backup.
Can this be done? Thanks.