page file in bu

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
dblake2

page file in bu

Post by dblake2 »

when looking into the varying sizes of my XP bu's, I looked at a bu with TBIview & found the page file in there.
I have the omit page & hibernate files checked in options but not sure if they were when I originally made the schedule (runs twice a week unattended).
the page file is in the root & I'm backing up XP from XP, so should the page file be in there?
after reading the help notes it sounds like it will be if your backing up an OS from the same OS.
or should I redo my schedule with the current default settings (omit page file checked)?
Another question would be what options are used in a scheduled bu? The ones present when the schedule was created or the most current ones used in the last manual bu?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: page file in bu

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

It will still show, but the contents are not included in the backup. The default is to omit both the page file data and the hibernation file data.

The scheduled backup will use the options as configured when the scheduled backup was created. For example, if you create a scheduled task with validate enabled and then run a manual backup without validate, the scheduled backup will still run the validation. You can see the command line that will be used when the task is created and add/edit parameters as needed. You can also edit a task after it's created and make any changes.

Is there any specific option you're concerned about?
dblake2

Post by dblake2 »

tbiview shows it with a size of 2.5Gb but its not really there? No biggie in any case, I was just curious as to why it was there.

I see the command line options in the schedule. Is there a listing of them somewhere? Didn''t see them in the help file.

Only question on options would be which provides max compression. I recently switched to E after seeing the note about C & F not being efficient.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

dblake2 wrote:
> tbiview shows it with a size of 2.5Gb but its not really there?

That appears to be the case. This thread caused me to experiment. My page file is approximately 6 Gb. I created two backups with no compression, one with the page file omitted and one with it not omitted. As you say, TBIView shows the page file with the same size in both backup files, but one backup file is approximately 6 GB larger than the other.

> I see the command line options in the schedule. Is there a listing of them
> somewhere? Didn''t see them in the help file.

They're in the manual.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

For compression you'd really need to try the different settings on your system and see what works best for the results you want. I usually use "Enhanced Speed - A" since it's quick and the extra compression the other settings give isn't worth the extra time to me.