Compact using IFL

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
MIdude

Compact using IFL

Post by MIdude »

I'm trying to compact a W7 349gb partition with 306gb free space. I have the latest 2.87 IFL and when I go into Backup and select the partition and hit the compact button nothing happens. When I select different partitions and hit the information button expecting to get the (used, free and size needed to restore) I get the same info on each partition 3gb - 349gb. I have tried IFL, IFD, older versions, Backup, Restore and Copy. I just can not get information or compact to work. What am I doing wrong?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Compact using IFL

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Does IFW in Windows show the correct used space, free space, etc.?

Have you checked if there are any file system errors on the partition?

If the disk is EMBR, are the partitions in the EMBR out of sync with the MBR?
MIdude

Post by MIdude »

I'm using Image for Linux 2.87 not Image for Windows. There are no disk errors. Have been able to resize the partition from 623gb down to 349gb by "shrinking the volume" after turning off the page file and deleting restore points and turning off hibernation then a defrag in Windows 7. All the tricks I know. I still need to get the partition down to 100gb. I had hoped the compact feature in IFL would help. I can't seem to get the information button to work and more important compact to work. After checking and highlighting the partition I hit the compact button and waited 20 minutes for something to happen. Nothing. Does it take a long time for compact to display something (am I not waiting long enough) should I be in backup or copy?

I do not know what EMBR is.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Regarding IFW, if you have it installed in Windows you could check if it is reporting the correct information for the Windows partition or if it's also not being able to access the file system.

When you click Compact you should get the warning and then get the box to enter the size. However, since it appears that IFL cannot read the file system (no details for it) it won't be able to compact it. Using Compact from either "Backup" or "Copy" is fine.

If the disk is EMBR it would state that when on the screen where you select the partitions to back up. At the top where it shows the HD# info it would end with "- MBR" or "- EMBR" (for those types).

Are there any bad sectors reported for the partition? I assume it's a standard NTFS partition on a single drive (not RAID).
MIdude

Post by MIdude »

I installed Image for Windows and get the same thing as I get with IFD & IFL no useful information and nothing with the compact button.
The disk is MBR. In fact the full disk id is: ATA Hitachi HTSS4757 (SDA) MBR
I did another CHKDSK and no errors.
I am trying to shrink the C: NTFS partition on a HP Pavilion DV7-6c64nr laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium, 6gb memory, I7-267QM processor and a 750gb SATA II hard drive.
So far I have shrunk the partition down to 349gb using the Disk Management tools in W7. I want to replace the existing 750gb HD with a Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD so I would like to shrink this partition down to about 100gb. Since the partition only has about 50gb of data on it this should be doable and I expected "Compact" in Image For (Dos or Linux) to do this.
The full disk info is as follows:
Drive 715405 MIB ENTIRE DRIVE
MBR0 Partition(01) 1 DYNAMIC
MBR1 Partition(02) 199 DYNAMIC
MBR2 Partition(03) 358345 DYNAMIC
MBR3 Partition(04) 356859 DYNAMIC
------------------------------------
The Same Disk Shown in W7 Disk Management shows as:
Disk0 System Main C: Data G: Recovery D: HPtools E:
Dynamic 199mb 349.95gb 89.21gb 78.27gb 155.74gb 21.31gb 3.97gb
698.64gb NTFS NTFS Unallocated NTFS Unallocated NTFS FAT32
TeraByte Support(PP)

The problem is that it's a Dynamic Disk. Windows Dynamic Disks use a proprietary disk layout and are not supported.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=038