Image For Dos on UEFI BIOS

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
MIdude

Image For Dos on UEFI BIOS

Post by MIdude »

I have purchased and used Image For DOS for years. I recently purchased a new Leveno laptop running Windows 8 and want to backup the laptop in it's virgin state like I have done with all my other computers. Since this is my first computer using the new UEFI bios I have been reading what changes I will have to do to accommodate the UEFI changes. I have downloaded IFD V2.86 and was going to use MakeDisk to make a bootable CD. This is where I have some confusion:
1. From what I read I need to download TBWinRE and use the MakeDisk in it to make the CD. True?
2. The product key in the imagew.ini file if valid keeps from running in "Trail Mode". Since my product key is a IFD key do I edit the the imagew.ini file with my IFD key?

I want to create the bootable IFD CD correctly to minimize the number of times I have to modify the BIOs and OS of the new laptop to keep the original image as close to what came on the laptop.
3. Are there any steps I am missing?

Thanks
Brian K

Re: Image For Dos on UEFI BIOS

Post by Brian K »

MIdude,

You need to use an IFW product key, not an IFD key in imagew.ini.

I think you will find IFL easier to use than IFD with a UEFI system.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=572
MIdude

Post by MIdude »

Brian K wrote:
> MIdude,
>
> You need to use an IFW product key, not an IFD key in imagew.ini.
>
> I think you will find IFL easier to use than IFD with a UEFI system.
>
> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=572
Thanks for the reply Brian,
I was waiting for more responses on experiences with the UEFI bios but seems everyone agrees with you on using IFL. I have been using IFD for all my backups and only keep the latest version. Changing to the linux version is probably a good idea and I thank you for that. It is just that it will complicate things remembering which image I used D or L. It has been years since I administered a Unix system and have used a bootable Linux to get me out of some problems with its more robust Fdisk (or what the Linux version of Fdisk is called) I will have to do some command syntax reviewing. I did notice a "Image For UEFI" available but the readme mentions "bleeding edge" and stability. So unless someone advises me otherwise I will use IFL.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

MIdude wrote:
> It is just that it will complicate things remembering which image
> I used D or L.

That's not an issue. Either can process images created by the other.