Lost on Image for DOS Restore

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Beck38

Lost on Image for DOS Restore

Post by Beck38 »

Utimate Goal: Restore my boot drive from the image I created when I first bought this program (6 mos)

First off, I had created a couple of Image for DOS boot discs originally, but they all came up saying 'evaluation purposes only' so I burned off a new CD, but it still says the same thing.

Second, the screens on this program don't match that in the pdf manual. They are 'dos like', not 'windows like'. I don't see any option to make a 'gui' boot disc in your program, and no specific path in the pdf manual listing any.

Third, I get to where I choose the image file (in the restore routine), and get a message 'unable to mount file system' when I select any drive. The image file is on two other physical/logical discs in the machine, and a copy is saved as well on a RAID6 network array (for good measure). But I don't see any way around this error I'm getting, or why I'm getting it.

The machine I'm trying to restore has 3 physical drives (Image for DOS sees all three), and the boot drive is a partition on a large drive that has several other logical drives on it. Nothing out of the ordinary here. I have no trouble creating image backups.

I could try a USB drive (both hard drive and thumb types) but don't understand the error I'm getting. All the HD's in this machine are SATA, it seems to 'see' them fine, just gets that error message. So I'm at a loss.

UPDATE: Okay, first problem is what I listed first. Why can't I seem to 'make' a full featured Image for DOS boot disk? I have my name/key file right in front of me, it was accespted by the program.. yet it fails to produce a non-evaluation (full) product. I'm beginingto see some of the limitations (for whatever reason) on selecting the drives/folders where the image files can be, then I'm up against this 'evaluation' limitation.
TeraByte Support

Re: Lost on Image for DOS Restore

Post by TeraByte Support »

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/product-download.php is where you can get
the full version (or click the link on the product pages that says to "click
here if you have purchased this product and want to download the latest
version". You can pick the CUI or GUI version.

For restoring, see http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/ which uses the
CUI version. Unable to mount file system means it can't mount the file
system on that partition, you can use "F1 details" to check basic
information about it. If it's related to the BIOS not able to access the
drive, you could use Image for Linux instead.

Also, if you have created an EMBR using BIBM but not using BIBM, you'll want
to boot to BIBM, then on each drive via partition work, change the disk type
"mbr" so all the partitions listed in IFD are the actual partitions.

"Beck38" wrote in message news:7132@public.image...

Utimate Goal: Restore my boot drive from the image I created when I first
bought this program (6 mos)

First off, I had created a couple of Image for DOS boot discs originally,
but they all came up saying 'evaluation purposes only' so I burned off a new
CD, but it still says the same thing.

Second, the screens on this program don't match that in the pdf manual.
They are 'dos like', not 'windows like'. I don't see any option to make a
'gui' boot disc in your program, and no specific path in the pdf manual
listing any.

Third, I get to where I choose the image file (in the restore routine), and
get a message 'unable to mount file system' when I select any drive. The
image file is on two other physical/logical discs in the machine, and a copy
is saved as well on a RAID6 network array (for good measure). But I don't
see any way around this error I'm getting, or why I'm getting it.

The machine I'm trying to restore has 3 physical drives (Image for DOS sees
all three), and the boot drive is a partition on a large drive that has
several other logical drives on it. Nothing out of the ordinary here. I
have no trouble creating image backups.

I could try a USB drive (both hard drive and thumb types) but don't
understand the error I'm getting. All the HD's in this machine are SATA, it
seems to 'see' them fine, just gets that error message. So I'm at a loss.

UPDATE: Okay, first problem is what I listed first. Why can't I seem to
'make' a full featured Image for DOS boot disk? I have my name/key file
right in front of me, it was accespted by the program.. yet it fails to
produce a non-evaluation (full) product. I'm beginingto see some of the
limitations (for whatever reason) on selecting the drives/folders where the
image files can be, then I'm up against this 'evaluation' limitation.

Beck38

Post by Beck38 »

Okay, thanks for the quick reply, I'll have to give that a try to produce the Image for Dos disk.

But, please don't use acyromims (sp) in expaining things *(what is BIBM?) I can't read your mind (and Goggle is no help), and that isn't listed anywhere in your documentation (neither, I might add, is the url you've listed). I do see where the docs do say that the Image for Dos has better capability to restore, whichever program (dos or windows) was used to create the image, but since this is the boot drve one must use Image for DOS anyway.

I'll try getting the boot disc image and report back.

UPDATE: I first tried the 'GUI' version, but couldn't get past the first 'page' (no images found or something like that) so okay, got the 'CUI' version and that worked pretty good. I still don't know why it 'sees' the other drives but can't actually get into them (where the images are), so I defaulted back to the one drive (with multiple partitions) where I had put the image as well. Worked.

My 'original' idea to back up all my machines (2 W2K and 2 Vista) was to be able to use a USB drive or a USB thumb drive to restore things. I'll take a look at that later in the week.

I did note that at the end of the restore, there was a message that a log file of the restore had been saved off, but it didn't exactly aay where. Now, the boot disc is a CD-RW, the drive used is a DVD/CD write drive, but I doubt it could have used that (and in looking at the disc, it didn't). Look at the docs, and no help there. Yet another mystery.

So, at the end of the day, I did get it to work (with lots of questions remaining), more than a few of them in the 'why did they design the s/w to make me jump through all these hoops' kind. If you have new or expanded modules, they why not build-in retrival capability in the program in the first place? (UPDATE) Just a thought.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

BIBM is BootIt Bare Metal, a separate product primarily for multibooting and partition manipulation though it does contain Image f9or DOS. If you don't know what it is, you probably don't have it and probably don't need to worry about it relevant to the current problem.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Beck38 wrote:
>I do see where the docs do say that the Image for Dos has better
>capability to restore, whichever program (dos or windows) was
>used to create the image, but since this is the boot drve one must
>use Image for DOS anyway.
Image for DOS (IFD), Image for Linux (IFL), or Image for Windows (IFW) can be used to do the restore. In the case of IFW it just needs to be used outside of Windows (e.g. from TBWinRE, TBWinPE, or another booted Windows).

> UPDATE: I first tried the 'GUI' version, but couldn't get past the first
> 'page' (no images found or something like that)
Most likely, you had "Simple Operations" mode enabled. This can be enabled/disabled when creating the boot media or by using the Settings button on the starting screen. In your case, you'd want it disabled.

> My 'original' idea to back up all my machines (2 W2K and 2 Vista) was to be
> able to use a USB drive or a USB thumb drive to restore things. I'll take
> a look at that later in the week.
Keep in mind that, depending on the system and/or options used, speeds in IFD may be limited compared to IFL or IFW. IFL is included with your purchase of IFD and usually provides better speeds and hardware support (along with many other features).

> I did note that at the end of the restore, there was a message that a log
> file of the restore had been saved off, but it didn't exactly aay where.
The log file can't be written to read-only media and wouldn't be available unless saved elsewhere.