Automating Full+Differential images
Re: Automating Full+Differential images
tanstaafl wrote:
> Thanks VERY much TeraByte...
>
> I'm almost there now...
Ok... having trouble with most of my systems failing to complete the Image task.
One appears to be running successfully every night (it is accumulating the DIFFs now).
I have it configured to perform the Image, but to terminate if it takes longer than 2 hours. Manually performing an Image on each of these systems only takes about 20 minutes, so it must be something else...
Any ideas? Where should I start looking?
All the Task Manager History for the task says is 'Terminated due to timeout'.
> Thanks VERY much TeraByte...
>
> I'm almost there now...
Ok... having trouble with most of my systems failing to complete the Image task.
One appears to be running successfully every night (it is accumulating the DIFFs now).
I have it configured to perform the Image, but to terminate if it takes longer than 2 hours. Manually performing an Image on each of these systems only takes about 20 minutes, so it must be something else...
Any ideas? Where should I start looking?
All the Task Manager History for the task says is 'Terminated due to timeout'.
-
TeraByte Support(PP)
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am
Re: Automating Full+Differential images
What does the IFW.LOG file show for the backups (manual and automated)?
Are you using the same options for the automated backup as the manual backup? For example, what compression setting? Is Validate included?
Are you using the same options for the automated backup as the manual backup? For example, what compression setting? Is Validate included?
Re: Automating Full+Differential images
TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> What does the IFW.LOG file show for the backups (manual and automated)?
Well... the manual run says it is successful, but the weird thing is, there is nothing in the logs during the times it was failing. The only thing logged is the error in the Task Scheduler...
> Are you using the same options for the automated backup as the manual
> backup? For example, what compression setting? Is Validate included?
Yes, because in the Scheduled Task I'm simply calling the same script that I dbl-click to manually run it.
> What does the IFW.LOG file show for the backups (manual and automated)?
Well... the manual run says it is successful, but the weird thing is, there is nothing in the logs during the times it was failing. The only thing logged is the error in the Task Scheduler...
> Are you using the same options for the automated backup as the manual
> backup? For example, what compression setting? Is Validate included?
Yes, because in the Scheduled Task I'm simply calling the same script that I dbl-click to manually run it.
-
TeraByte Support(PP)
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am
Re: Automating Full+Differential images
Are you sure the task is configured correctly? The log file should show something if IFW is being run. Maybe it's never being started. Have you checked the Task Manager for it when the task is running/active?
Does the Windows Event Viewer show IFW is being started (under "Windows Logs | Application")?
These might help:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=337
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=271
Does the Windows Event Viewer show IFW is being started (under "Windows Logs | Application")?
These might help:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=337
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=271
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Automating Full+Differential images
use /logl:10 to have it write out the items as it creates it, then you'll
see where it was.
"tanstaafl" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> What does the IFW.LOG file show for the backups (manual and automated)?
Well... the manual run says it is successful, but the weird thing is, there
is nothing in the logs during the times it was failing. The only thing
logged is the error in the Task Scheduler...
> Are you using the same options for the automated backup as the manual
> backup? For example, what compression setting? Is Validate included?
Yes, because in the Scheduled Task I'm simply calling the same script that
I dbl-click to manually run it.
see where it was.
"tanstaafl" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> What does the IFW.LOG file show for the backups (manual and automated)?
Well... the manual run says it is successful, but the weird thing is, there
is nothing in the logs during the times it was failing. The only thing
logged is the error in the Task Scheduler...
> Are you using the same options for the automated backup as the manual
> backup? For example, what compression setting? Is Validate included?
Yes, because in the Scheduled Task I'm simply calling the same script that
I dbl-click to manually run it.
Re: Automating Full+Differential images
TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> Are you sure the task is configured correctly? The log file should show
> something if IFW is being run. Maybe it's never being started. Have you
> checked the Task Manager for it when the task is running/active?
Ok, got all of the systems but one fixed up. The ones that are now running that were having a problem just needed the user credentials refreshed (I had been experimenting with running it under a different 'backup' user account).
The remaining system that won't run from the Task Scheduler is the one using a single .cmd file that calls two others. It simply contains:
@echo off
call backupscript1.cmd
call backupscript2.cmd
Note: I had to add the 'call' commands to get it to work when invoked manually (dbl-clicking it).
I have confirmed that the Task Scheduler successfully runs either of the two scripts individually just fine if I set either one as the Task to run.
It is only when I call the one that then calls the two others that it fails. The Task Scheduler History says it runs successfully, albeit instantaneously, but imagew64.exe is never called so nothing shows in its logs)...
So, any ideas on how to get a single script attached to a single scheduled task to run two different scripts in succession successfully?
> Are you sure the task is configured correctly? The log file should show
> something if IFW is being run. Maybe it's never being started. Have you
> checked the Task Manager for it when the task is running/active?
Ok, got all of the systems but one fixed up. The ones that are now running that were having a problem just needed the user credentials refreshed (I had been experimenting with running it under a different 'backup' user account).
The remaining system that won't run from the Task Scheduler is the one using a single .cmd file that calls two others. It simply contains:
@echo off
call backupscript1.cmd
call backupscript2.cmd
Note: I had to add the 'call' commands to get it to work when invoked manually (dbl-clicking it).
I have confirmed that the Task Scheduler successfully runs either of the two scripts individually just fine if I set either one as the Task to run.
It is only when I call the one that then calls the two others that it fails. The Task Scheduler History says it runs successfully, albeit instantaneously, but imagew64.exe is never called so nothing shows in its logs)...
So, any ideas on how to get a single script attached to a single scheduled task to run two different scripts in succession successfully?
-
TeraByte Support(PP)
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am
Re: Automating Full+Differential images
Is the path correct for the scripts being called?
If you run it so it leaves the Command Prompt window open, what does it report? Any errors? (For example, put a "pause" at the end so it doesn't automatically close.)
If you run it so it leaves the Command Prompt window open, what does it report? Any errors? (For example, put a "pause" at the end so it doesn't automatically close.)
Re: Automating Full+Differential images
TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> Is the path correct for the scripts being called?
All of the scripts are in the same location, and all I do is change the script being called in the Task - when I select one of the single job scripts, it works fine, when I select the script that calls the other two, it says the task runs successfully, but it does so instantaneously, and imagew64.exe never runs (I watch in the Process list)
> If you run it so it leaves the Command Prompt window open, what does it
> report? Any errors? (For example, put a "pause" at the end so it
> doesn't automatically close.)
I tried this, nothing happened...
> Is the path correct for the scripts being called?
All of the scripts are in the same location, and all I do is change the script being called in the Task - when I select one of the single job scripts, it works fine, when I select the script that calls the other two, it says the task runs successfully, but it does so instantaneously, and imagew64.exe never runs (I watch in the Process list)
> If you run it so it leaves the Command Prompt window open, what does it
> report? Any errors? (For example, put a "pause" at the end so it
> doesn't automatically close.)
I tried this, nothing happened...
-
TeraByte Support(PP)
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am
Re: Automating Full+Differential images
Is the script file being blocked from running (e.g. by system security)?
Do you see the Command Prompt window?
If you can't tell any other way, add something to the script so you can find out if it's running. For example, output a "dir" listing to a file:
@echo off
dir c:\windows > c:\output.txt
call backupscript1.cmd
call backupscript2.cmd
Then check if c:\output.txt exists and has content after running the task.
Do you see the Command Prompt window?
If you can't tell any other way, add something to the script so you can find out if it's running. For example, output a "dir" listing to a file:
@echo off
dir c:\windows > c:\output.txt
call backupscript1.cmd
call backupscript2.cmd
Then check if c:\output.txt exists and has content after running the task.
Re: Automating Full+Differential images
TeraByte Support(PP) wrote:
> Is the script file being blocked from running (e.g. by system security)?
No.
> If you can't tell any other way, add something to the script so you can find out if it's running. For example, output a "dir" listing to a file:
> @echo off
> dir c:\windows > c:\output.txt
> call backupscript1.cmd
> call backupscript2.cmd
Ok, tried this, and indeed, c:\output.txt is there and contains the dir listing for c:.
But... nothing else happens. A cmd prompt window doesn't open, imagew64.exe never launches, and the Task Scheduler says the Task was initiated and started...
Also - maybe you missed the part where the individual scripts run just fine??
The Task Scheduler is working. When I change the Task to only run one of the individual .cdm files, that Imaging Task runs fine.
The problem *only* happens when I use the simple .cmd file that calls the other two individual .cmd files (first one images the C:, the second one images the D:).
I don't see how this can be anything other than a problem with running two scripts from one?
Have you even tested this?
> Is the script file being blocked from running (e.g. by system security)?
No.
> If you can't tell any other way, add something to the script so you can find out if it's running. For example, output a "dir" listing to a file:
> @echo off
> dir c:\windows > c:\output.txt
> call backupscript1.cmd
> call backupscript2.cmd
Ok, tried this, and indeed, c:\output.txt is there and contains the dir listing for c:.
But... nothing else happens. A cmd prompt window doesn't open, imagew64.exe never launches, and the Task Scheduler says the Task was initiated and started...
Also - maybe you missed the part where the individual scripts run just fine??
The Task Scheduler is working. When I change the Task to only run one of the individual .cdm files, that Imaging Task runs fine.
The problem *only* happens when I use the simple .cmd file that calls the other two individual .cmd files (first one images the C:, the second one images the D:).
I don't see how this can be anything other than a problem with running two scripts from one?
Have you even tested this?