[SOLVED] IFL 2.83 (CUI) cannot be run on 64bit Linux

User discussion and information resource forum for TeraByte Drive Image products, including TBNetManage.
Post Reply
Kurgan
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:43 pm

[SOLVED] IFL 2.83 (CUI) cannot be run on 64bit Linux

Post by Kurgan »

I have Kubuntu 12.04 64bit installed on my PC. I have tried running "imagel" from the installation directory (after having run "install" successfully) and nothing happens. No error, nothing.

I have tried running it under gdb and this is what I get:


kurgan@Budell:~/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text$ gdb ./imagel
GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.4-2012.04-0ubuntu2.1) 7.4-2012.04
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://bugs.launchpad.net/gdb-linaro/>...
Reading symbols from /home/kurgan/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text/imagel...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/kurgan/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text/imagel
[Inferior 1 (process 12179) exited with code 0177]


I have tried installing 32 bit libraries, but the outcome is exactly the same.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

EDIT: See the last two posts for the solution (unpack with upx).
Last edited by Kurgan on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support(TP)
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: IFL 2.83 (CUI) cannot be run on 64bit Linux

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

Kurgan wrote:
> I have Kubuntu 12.04 64bit installed on my PC. I have tried running
> "imagel" from the installation directory (after having run
> "install" successfully) and nothing happens. No error, nothing.
>
> I have tried running it under gdb and this is what I get:
>
>
> kurgan@Budell:~/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text$ gdb ./imagel
> GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.4-2012.04-0ubuntu2.1) 7.4-2012.04
> Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://bugs.launchpad.net/gdb-linaro/>...
> Reading symbols from /home/kurgan/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text/imagel...(no debugging
> symbols found)...done.
> (gdb) r
> Starting program: /home/kurgan/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text/imagel
> [Inferior 1 (process 12179) exited with code 0177]
>
>
> I have tried installing 32 bit libraries, but the outcome is exactly the same.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks

The CUI version runs OK on Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit (I just double checked it here). It doesn't depend on any shared libs, so installing libraries won't matter (it does matter for the GUI version).

I'd suggest starting over to make sure you've gotten the zip file extracted correctly. The easiest way in Kubuntu is usually to open a file manager window (Dolphin), right click the zip file (ifl_en.zip) and choose Extract -> Extract Archive Here, Autodetect Subfolder. Then right click the ifl_en folder and select Actions -> Open Terminal here. Then in the terminal window, run './setup', and after setup completes, you should be able to run './imagel' to start IFL.

If still problems, it's possible the zip file got corrupted, so I'd suggest re-downloading and trying again. If you still have problems after that, capture your IFL directory contents by running the command 'ls -lR > ifldir.txt' in the terminal window, then attach the file ifldir.txt to a post here.
Kurgan
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: IFL 2.83 (CUI) cannot be run on 64bit Linux

Post by Kurgan »

Thanks for the prompt answer.

I have run md5sum on the "imagel" file and it reports "0eac74ef082475802464243be593f7d7", which is the same as the "imagel" file that I find in the bootable ISO image that I have created by using the "setup" script. So I believe that the "imagel" file on my hard disk is the same as the one in the bootable ISO image, still it works if I run the bootable ISO in Virtualbox, and it does not work from my PC.

This is the directory listing from my ifl installation directory (after I have run the setup script):

drwxrwxr-x 9 kurgan kurgan 4096 Oct 14 16:26 .
drwxr-xr-x 16 kurgan kurgan 4096 Oct 14 16:25 ..
drwxr-xr-x 5 kurgan kurgan 4096 Oct 14 16:26 cdboot
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 278 Jan 13 2013 cdboot.ins
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 5442 Aug 20 2011 config.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 996544 Aug 11 03:44 config.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 126302 Aug 10 00:45 copyp2v.tbs
drwxr-xr-x 2 kurgan kurgan 4096 Aug 11 03:44 help
-rwxr-xr-x 1 kurgan kurgan 37450 Jul 31 17:09 iflbuild
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 10 Apr 19 15:24 ifl-custom.ini
-rw-rw-r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 2327919 Aug 10 11:45 ifl_en_manual.pdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 36 Oct 14 16:26 ifl.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 30562304 Oct 14 16:26 ifl.iso
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 45017088 Oct 14 16:26 iflnet.iso
-rwxr-xr-x 1 kurgan kurgan 955311 Aug 10 00:21 imagel
drwxr-xr-x 4 kurgan kurgan 4096 Nov 5 2007 iscsi
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 21311 Feb 27 2013 LICENSE.TXT
-rwxr-xr-x 1 kurgan kurgan 81162 Aug 10 23:55 makeGRUB
-rwxr-xr-x 1 kurgan kurgan 72444 Aug 10 23:56 makeHDD
-rwxr--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 28609 Aug 10 23:56 makeISO
-rwxr-xr-x 1 kurgan kurgan 27790 Aug 10 23:56 makePXE
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 209440 Aug 10 00:45 osdtool.tbs
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 142982 May 22 13:05 OS-Lic.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 3955 Dec 23 2011 quickstart.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 18198 Dec 23 2011 readme.txt
drwxr-xr-x 2 kurgan kurgan 4096 Aug 10 21:59 scripts
-rwxr-xr-x 1 kurgan kurgan 33306 Jul 20 14:47 setup
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 199619 Aug 10 00:45 tbexplo.tbs
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 100372 Aug 10 00:45 tbidtool.tbs
-rwxr-xr-x 1 kurgan kurgan 393908 May 23 04:38 tbiview
-rwxr-xr-x 1 kurgan kurgan 391656 Aug 10 00:45 tbosdt
drwxr-xr-x 2 kurgan kurgan 4096 Mar 21 2012 tbosdtfiles
-rw-r--r-- 1 kurgan kurgan 433752 Aug 10 00:45 tbosdtw.exe
drwxr-xr-x 4 kurgan kurgan 4096 Aug 11 03:44 util
drwxr-xr-x 4 kurgan kurgan 4096 Apr 21 2009 wireless


These are the md5 of the files:

kurgan@Budell:~/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text$ md5sum *
md5sum: cdboot: Is a directory
c3a04d32986257ec38fbdd798217706f cdboot.ins
d9b1c483674195b1ed69fddd0f83cdb0 config.txt
9e47f1d7d1e9ac59a21393028d9bc54c config.zip
6e514e60559d90a63e9896cbcf0c5cd4 copyp2v.tbs
md5sum: help: Is a directory
df26ed4242b2e241e4f20ad1e6d7ad7e iflbuild
d5a0201e7f45c09687a1dc83fc54f4f3 ifl-custom.ini
15a3cfdab594980b4cb0e9dd74ceef94 ifl_en_manual.pdf
4444b0a63deea3cc6d94fc68aaec8e94 ifl.ini
6aad87c35b554ff0e472823c47fdf299 ifl.iso
0bcd120ebc10d07b45a3883a3e8dc7bf iflnet.iso
0eac74ef082475802464243be593f7d7 imagel
md5sum: iscsi: Is a directory
d957f67ca61c2338d75e2cea511b2cd7 LICENSE.TXT
2acd226a99c7faf1852bb190f4115693 makeGRUB
4d58ce1ef77661beebe4b24f536123f8 makeHDD
398dde6878e8f639c32c48aa7d01c0bd makeISO
7ee4f498ff35a66fc13b1dfff29db131 makePXE
a88beb853f76fb50aa57fe6bb89daabf osdtool.tbs
d53c68efcd220ee0f41fff804afcfd92 OS-Lic.zip
db079baefc1c4a53a8c7a1ce2096c386 quickstart.txt
c7f2564234ec10e88778c88476b256df readme.txt
md5sum: scripts: Is a directory
44f8c55120bd8659f3d3079ab567c6ad setup
1404885751758c60d1730093b0197fb3 tbexplo.tbs
0f073ba2a5e08f3bdaf68a20a8ff2e68 tbidtool.tbs
d0b79976329a570fdb1777a1d278b0ec tbiview
94fe6a7e148cd7e57fd3652899cfac15 tbosdt
md5sum: tbosdtfiles: Is a directory
f332f407856b0a0515b031d30fd24c9e tbosdtw.exe
md5sum: util: Is a directory
md5sum: wireless: Is a directory


Thanks again for your help.
TeraByte Support(TP)
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: IFL 2.83 (CUI) cannot be run on 64bit Linux

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

That checksum and file size is correct for imagel 2.83, same as I see here.

Do you have the same problem if you try to run ./tbosdt or ./tbiview in that same directory?

If so, try installing the 'upx-ucl' package (apt-get install upx-ucl), then run the command 'upx -d imagel' to decompress the imagel file. Then see if it runs.
Kurgan
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: IFL 2.83 (CUI) cannot be run on 64bit Linux

Post by Kurgan »

tbosdt seems to work (it shows me a shell that I can "exit" from) while tbiview shows the same behaviour as imagel.

If I run tbiview under gdb, I get this output:

kurgan@Budell:~/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text$ gdb ./tbiview
GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.4-2012.04-0ubuntu2.1) 7.4-2012.04
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://bugs.launchpad.net/gdb-linaro/>...
Reading symbols from /home/kurgan/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text/tbiview...
warning: no loadable sections found in added symbol-file /home/kurgan/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text/tbiview
(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/kurgan/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text/tbiview
[Inferior 1 (process 3790) exited with code 0177]


If I run "file" on the three binaries we are talking about, I see this:

kurgan@Budell:~/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text$ file tbosdt
tbosdt: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, stripped

kurgan@Budell:~/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text$ file imagel
imagel: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, corrupted section header size

kurgan@Budell:~/Desktop/ifl_en_283_text$ file tbiview
tbiview: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, corrupted section header size

So it seems that tbiview and imagel (the two that do not work) are somehow corrupted, while tbosdt seems to be fine. In fact, tbosdt works. But... why does imagel work from the bootable ISO, and why does it match the MD5 fror your (perfectly working) copy?

I am baffled.
TeraByte Support(TP)
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: IFL 2.83 (CUI) cannot be run on 64bit Linux

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

Ok thanks for the information. Have you tried decompresing imagel (and tbiview) with upx as I described in my last post, and then try to run them? I added that as an edit, so you may have missed it.
Kurgan
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: IFL 2.83 (CUI) cannot be run on 64bit Linux

Post by Kurgan »

It works!

Thanks a lot!
Post Reply