I am reading the knowledge base article here: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=462 regarding backing up a Truecrypt drive/partition. I really wanted to understand how to do it correctly but I don't understand the following, to me it seems to contradict itself but I'm sure it's just that I misunderstand it. Here's the relevant part of it:
TrueCrypt Non-system Partition Encryption
A standard non-system partition on an internal or external drive... Can only be backed up in the encrypted state. It is not possible to image the mounted TrueCrypt volume associated with the partition.
When backing up from Windows, it is recommended to either unmount the TrueCrypt partition or keep disk activity to a minimum during the backup.
To me, it says it's not possible to back this up mounted, then it says you can but keep disk activity low. I'd appreciate any help understanding it.
Knowledge base article question
-
TeraByte Support(PP)
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:51 am
Re: Knowledge base article question
It's referring to the mounted TrueCrypt volume. You have the actual physical partition on the drive that's encrypted and you have, for example, T: that refers to the TrueCrypt mounted drive (unencrypted state). IFW can't see T: to image it, but can see the physical partition.
The second point refers to backing up the physical partition while T: is mounted. Unmounting is recommended to avoid errors.
The second point refers to backing up the physical partition while T: is mounted. Unmounting is recommended to avoid errors.
Re: Knowledge base article question
Right, thank you, I think I understand now. I had a glimmer of understanding for a moment anyway, and it made sense at that moment!
Thanks again.
Thanks again.
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4106
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: Knowledge base article question
wonder what would happen using VSS which is volume based... ?
"TeraByte Support (PP)" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
It's referring to the mounted TrueCrypt volume. You have the actual physical
partition on the drive that's encrypted and you have, for example, T: that
refers to the TrueCrypt mounted drive (unencrypted state). IFW can't see T:
to image it, but can see the physical partition.
The second point refers to backing up the physical partition while T: is
mounted. Unmounting is recommended to avoid errors.
"TeraByte Support (PP)" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
It's referring to the mounted TrueCrypt volume. You have the actual physical
partition on the drive that's encrypted and you have, for example, T: that
refers to the TrueCrypt mounted drive (unencrypted state). IFW can't see T:
to image it, but can see the physical partition.
The second point refers to backing up the physical partition while T: is
mounted. Unmounting is recommended to avoid errors.