Assume same target system?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
TDC999

Assume same target system?

Post by TDC999 »

Hello,

in the help of IFW there stands under "Assume same target system"= ..... is equivalent to "Use MBR GEometry override"
unfortunately i could not find "Use MBR Geometry override " in exact wording neither in the software nor the help.

What i found under "Restore Options" is "Assume Original HD".

My theory is now: "Assume same target system"= "Assume Original HD" = In practice this means that under windows the HD will get after an restore the same "uniqueid" (what i mean here is this: in the win7 commandline the value you get when you type in "uniqueid disk" something like 5FEF7CB7) as it had before the restore.

Is my "theory" correct.

Greetings!

EDIT: Now i just saw, that you have an option "restore disk signature" under the "restore options". Now I'm totally confused :?: Something in the help manual must be not 100% correct. It's not matching up.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Re: Assume same target system?

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

They are different options.

"Assume Same Target System" is used when you need to restore a drive image on a different system than the target and you need the geometry to match the target (source) system. This matters more on older systems. "Use MBR Geometry" is located in the Geometry Override settings and applies to an individual drive (instead of globally). For example, if you have a system that uses non-standard drive geometry and need to restore its drive while connected to a different system that uses standard drive geometry.

"Assume Original HD" is used to keep the hard drive number references intact for the restored partitions. This option mainly applies to Linux partitions.

"Restore Disk Signature" will restore the signature saved with the image. Doesn't affect geometry.
TDC999

Post by TDC999 »

Hi Paul,

For the following: Assuming Win7 64-bit with current hardware (year 2010).

1. "Use MBR Geometry":
a) Lets say HD of Notebook crashes, I buy a new HD, connect it to Desktop restore image. Is it saver now to make the checkmark on "Use MBR Geometry" or not?
b) HD of notebook is O.K. but Windows installation is corrupted. So same HD connected to desktop, restore image to it. Now i woul assume its saver to check "Use MBR Geometry" - right?

2. "Assume Original HD": You said its mainly for Linux, but does this have any relevance under Win7? Everything i can find contains the words "hard drive number references" What is this? I know under Win the "diskid" and "volumeid" has it something to do with that?

Greetings and thanks for your answer so far!

Edit: forgot to ask what is now the difference between use MBR geometry and "use original Geometry" shouldn't the original Geometry always come from the MBR?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

For current systems that use 2048 sector alignment you shouldn't need to worry about the geometry.

1a/1b: Only matters if laptop uses different geometry than desktop. Not really a case of "safer" or not. The system just wouldn't be able to boot the drive. Restoring again with the correct geometry would fix it.

2. My understanding is that this applies to the order of the drives and how Linux referenced them (older versions). If you changed the drive order then it wouldn't be able to find the partitions because the references would be incorrect. The "reference" is not the signature or GUID -- it's just the "order" of the drives. You would use this option to retain those references so when the drive was put back into the original system the partitions could be found properly.

3. The difference between "Use MBR Geometry" and "Use Original Geometry" is that one gets the geometry from the partition table of the backup image and the other gets it from the system used to create the backup. If you take a drive from a laptop with non-standard geometry, connect it to a desktop with standard geometry, then create a backup of the drive, the "MBR" geometry will reflect the non-standard laptop while the "original" gemetry will reflect that of the standard desktop. If you created the backup of the same drive on the laptop the two would match.
TDC999

Post by TDC999 »

Hi Paul,

have busy days behind me - just stopped by. Thanks for this very well/clearly written answer.

I would have a suggestion: The answers in this Forum are much better than the manual is. The manual is really O.K. especially if you compare it to competitiors like Acronis. BUT i think you guys could save a lot of support time, if you would after writing an answer would take the time to update manual as well. For example in the manual i'm sure everything that stands there is correct but still its sometimes VERY hard to REALLY understand what it means. In Contrast the answers here in forum are usually very well written and very clear. This Question here is a good example. In the manual there stands for example (besides many other things):

"...you can select the Use Original Geometry option to have Image for Windows use the geometry from the backup image."

After i heard "the truth" from you now, i can see that this answer is still not incorrect, but its very misleading - at least.

Just an idea - of course do what you think is best!

Greetings to all of you!
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 06:15:52 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
TDC999 disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Just an idea - of course do what you think is best!

Thank you. I have been saying the same thing about the documentation
for ages, both here and privately via email to TBU. The manuals are
obviously written by those who know the subject very well, which is
why so many things are not clear for the general user. Example: "tick
the box to enable 'wizzbang' ". But nothing to tell you what
'wizzbang' is or why anybody would want to use it.

I even offered to help for a free licence - but the price has gone up
considerably since then LOL.

--

Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.