How does one use IFW/IFD/IFL to upgrade to a larger drive than one is using at present? Using an Entire Drive image (or copy) sounds like being the easiest method but what if you wanted to use individual partition images? How does Set Active and Restore First Track fit into the method with a UEFI system? Is it as simple as restoring the EFI System partition, the MSR partition and the OS partition in that order?
There is an incredible amount of conflicting advice in various forums and I haven't seen anything that looks like a well thought out method.
UEFI system
Re: UEFI system
On 2013-04-04 4:23 PM, Brian K wrote:
> How does one use IFW/IFD/IFL to upgrade to a larger drive than one is using at present? Using an Entire Drive image (or copy) sounds like being the easiest method but what if you wanted to use individual partition images? How does Set Active and Restore First Track fit into the method with a UEFI system? Is it as simple as restoring the EFI System partition, the MSR partition and the OS partition in that order?
>
> There is an incredible amount of conflicting advice in various forums and I haven't seen anything that looks like a well thought out method.
>
>
Brian, is this a help:
thestarman dot pcministry dot com /asm/mbr/GPT.htm
AlanD
> How does one use IFW/IFD/IFL to upgrade to a larger drive than one is using at present? Using an Entire Drive image (or copy) sounds like being the easiest method but what if you wanted to use individual partition images? How does Set Active and Restore First Track fit into the method with a UEFI system? Is it as simple as restoring the EFI System partition, the MSR partition and the OS partition in that order?
>
> There is an incredible amount of conflicting advice in various forums and I haven't seen anything that looks like a well thought out method.
>
>
Brian, is this a help:
thestarman dot pcministry dot com /asm/mbr/GPT.htm
AlanD
Re: UEFI system
On 2013-04-04 4:23 PM, Brian K wrote:
> How does one use IFW/IFD/IFL to upgrade to a larger drive than one is using at present? Using an Entire Drive image (or copy) sounds like being the easiest method but what if you wanted to use individual partition images? How does Set Active and Restore First Track fit into the method with a UEFI system? Is it as simple as restoring the EFI System partition, the MSR partition and the OS partition in that order?
>
> There is an incredible amount of conflicting advice in various forums and I haven't seen anything that looks like a well thought out method.
>
>
or this?
hydra dot geht dot net /tino/howto/uefi/prepare/
> How does one use IFW/IFD/IFL to upgrade to a larger drive than one is using at present? Using an Entire Drive image (or copy) sounds like being the easiest method but what if you wanted to use individual partition images? How does Set Active and Restore First Track fit into the method with a UEFI system? Is it as simple as restoring the EFI System partition, the MSR partition and the OS partition in that order?
>
> There is an incredible amount of conflicting advice in various forums and I haven't seen anything that looks like a well thought out method.
>
>
or this?
hydra dot geht dot net /tino/howto/uefi/prepare/
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: UEFI system
yes, you'd just restore the EFI System first then then rest (using update
boot partition - although I think it does that automatically).
"Brian K" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
How does one use IFW/IFD/IFL to upgrade to a larger drive than one is using
at present? Using an Entire Drive image (or copy) sounds like being the
easiest method but what if you wanted to use individual partition images?
How does Set Active and Restore First Track fit into the method with a UEFI
system? Is it as simple as restoring the EFI System partition, the MSR
partition and the OS partition in that order?
There is an incredible amount of conflicting advice in various forums and I
haven't seen anything that looks like a well thought out method.
boot partition - although I think it does that automatically).
"Brian K" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
How does one use IFW/IFD/IFL to upgrade to a larger drive than one is using
at present? Using an Entire Drive image (or copy) sounds like being the
easiest method but what if you wanted to use individual partition images?
How does Set Active and Restore First Track fit into the method with a UEFI
system? Is it as simple as restoring the EFI System partition, the MSR
partition and the OS partition in that order?
There is an incredible amount of conflicting advice in various forums and I
haven't seen anything that looks like a well thought out method.
Re: UEFI system
TeraByte Support wrote:
> yes, you'd just restore the EFI System first then then rest (using update
> boot partition - although I think it does that automatically).
>
So simple. I gather Set Active doesn't apply with GPT but what about Restore First Track when restoring multiple partitions to a new drive? Does a GPT disk have a First Track?
> yes, you'd just restore the EFI System first then then rest (using update
> boot partition - although I think it does that automatically).
>
So simple. I gather Set Active doesn't apply with GPT but what about Restore First Track when restoring multiple partitions to a new drive? Does a GPT disk have a First Track?
-
TeraByte Support
- Posts: 4105
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm
Re: UEFI system
yes
"Brian K" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
TeraByte Support wrote:
> yes, you'd just restore the EFI System first then then rest (using update
> boot partition - although I think it does that automatically).
>
So simple. I gather Set Active doesn't apply with GPT but what about Restore
First Track when restoring multiple partitions to a new drive? Does a GPT
disk have a First Track?
"Brian K" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
TeraByte Support wrote:
> yes, you'd just restore the EFI System first then then rest (using update
> boot partition - although I think it does that automatically).
>
So simple. I gather Set Active doesn't apply with GPT but what about Restore
First Track when restoring multiple partitions to a new drive? Does a GPT
disk have a First Track?