Image + restore dual boot Bootcamp MacBook Pro w/OSX + Win7

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
mark__a

Image + restore dual boot Bootcamp MacBook Pro w/OSX + Win7

Post by mark__a »

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro and am using Bootcamp to dual-boot with Windows 7 x64 and OSX. I am replacing the 750GB hard drive with a 240GB SSD and want to use IFL, IFW or IFD to create images for the various partitions from the hard drive, install the SSD and then restore the images onto the SSD.

There are four partitions on the HD now:

Disk 0
200MB (? GPT Protective Partition)
E: 348GB (HFS Primary Partition)
620MB (? Primary Partition)
C: 349GB (Bootcamp, NTFS System boot partition)

How can each of these partitions be backed up/imaged and then restored? I do not want to create images at "full size" because there is so much free space. Which product is most suitable to image all of the different partitions and file systems?

Thanks in advance for any guidence!
Panagiotis

Re: Image + restore dual boot Bootcamp MacBook Pro w/OSX + W

Post by Panagiotis »

You cannot resize HFS+ with IFL/IFW/IFD.
however you can accomplish what you want by using OSX's disk utility from the recovery environment http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/ to create an image of your Lion and IFL/IFD/IFW to create an image of windows 7 (remember to use the compact option).

On your Disk 0
200MB (? GPT Protective Partition) = EFI System partition
E: 348GB (HFS Primary Partition) = OSX Lion partition
620MB (? Primary Partition) = OSX Lion recovery partition
C: 349GB (Bootcamp, NTFS System boot partition) = Windows 7 partition

Then after you put your new disk, perform a new install of Lion(needed to get back the recovery partition), use Bootcamp to redistribute the space as wanted (and to reinstall windows 7 for creating the hybrid mbr) and then use the recovery environment to restore OSX and IFW/IFL/IFD to restore windows (but do not restore the first track, since terabyte products do not support officially Mac OSX's hybrid mbr)

Panagiotis
lflagg1

Re: Image + restore dual boot Bootcamp MacBook Pro w/OSX + W

Post by lflagg1 »

A friend of mine and I are backing up and restoring our multboot Macbooks with IFL
I have an older Macbook running Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Linux, and XP Pro
He has the new Macbook Pro using Bootcamp and Windows 7
I need to use REFLT because of my three partitions.

We can back up the entire drive, which for me is
EFI
Mac
Linux
XP Pro

The only issue for either of us, after a full restore from IFL, is the Boot GPT/MBR hybrid is not complete
The GPT shows O.K., and the Protective MBR is there.
The Partition MBR's are missing

By using the Partition Tool in REFLT, we sync to the correct configuration, and all is well.

He can just execte REFLT from a flash drive, I sometimes have to reinstall it from my Mac partition.
His recovery partition is also fine after the backup/restore process.
I'd love to put REFLT as an application on the GUI IFL process, to cover this one issue.