Strange problem - BING doesn't see new drive, but...

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Next Generation
ohaya

Strange problem - BING doesn't see new drive, but...

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

My PC has a P9X79 LE mobo, and I had the following drives (all SATA):

Samsung 830 64GB SSD (my Win7 Boot partition on here) - Plugged into one of the two internal SATA III ports
DVD Burner (SATA)
WD 150GB Velociraptor (SATA I drive)
Seagate 2TB SATA drive (Plugged into the 2nd internal SATA III port)
Seagate 2TB drive (Plugged into one of the remaining internal SATA II ports)
Seagate 2TB drive (Plugged in a trayless SATA dock, which is plugged into one of the remaining internal SATA II ports)

All the above are plugged into the P9X79 LE's interlal SATA II or III ports.

All of the above drives are seen by the BIOS, and BING USE to be able to see all 6 drives. Windows 7 64 bit could also see all 6 drives.

This mobo also has 2 eSATA ports on the back, so I got a new drive, a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB (SATA III hybrid drive), and put that into an enclosure with a USB 2.0 and an eSATA port.

I plugged that into one of the eSATA ports on the back, and powered the machine on, and, BIOS showed the original 6 drives (I think that the mobo BIOS doesn't show drives plugged into the eSATA ports).

However, when I booted into BING, and went into Partition Work, BING showed the new 750GB drive, BUT, one of the 2 TB drives was missing from BING.

I tried powering the machine off and plugging the enclosure into the 2nd eSATA port, but same thing happened, BING was still missing one of the original 2TB drives.

If I unplugged the 750GB drive from the eSATA port, then boot into BING, BING could then see the 3 2TB drives again.

In other words, it looks like, if I plug the 750GB drive into the eSATA port, BING is missing one of the internal 2TB drives, which if I don't plug the 750GB drive into the eSATA port, BING does show all 3 internal 2TB drives.

Obviously, this is a problem because since BING can't see all the drives, I can't add the new 750GB drive to the boot items :(!!

One other thing that I did figure out is that if I:

- Unplug the 750GB drive from the eSATA, then
- Power on the machine and boot through BING into Windows, THEN
- Plug the 750GB drive into the eSATA port, THEN
- Windows 7 can see ALL of the drives.

Also, rebooting Windows after the above, I can still seen all drives in Windows.

I am running BING 1.87, and have "Limit partitions" disabled.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Why can't BING see all of the SATA and eSATA drives, even though Windows can and the BIOS can see all of the internal SATA drives?

More puzzling maybe is why, if I unplug the eSATA drive, BING can see the 3 2TB drives, if I plug the eSATA drive in, BING only sees 2 of the 3 2TB drives?

Thanks,
Jim
Brian K

Re: Strange problem - BING doesn't see new drive, but...

Post by Brian K »

Jim,

This doesn't answer your question but does a BIBM CD see all your drives?
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Hi Brian,

I don't know, as I haven't started using BIBM yet. Can I just burn that to a CD and boot from the CD like with BING? If so, I can try that later (currently using the machine).

I was thinking about trying that, booting from a BING CD also, but didn't think of it until I was already started doing some other stuff (work!) with the machine.

Thanks,
Jim
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Jim,

Yes, you can make a CD just like your BING CD. You don't have to install BIBM.
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

Ok, thanks. I'll try that later, but the machine is going to be tied up for awhile for some testing.

If anyone from TBU sees that, do you have any idea why what I described in the original post might be happening? It's almost like BING is only able to see a certain # of drives, but I know that I've had machines with BING with more than this # of drives :(...

Jim
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

it's going to use whatever drive count the bios says is available and bing
drive will only show up to 8. You should update to BIBM, BING is no longer
supported, but it's also only going to show whatever the BIOS says is
available.

"ohaya" wrote in message news:4730@public.bootitng...

Hi,

Ok, thanks. I'll try that later, but the machine is going to be tied up for
awhile for some testing.

If anyone from TBU sees that, do you have any idea why what I described in
the original post might be happening? It's almost like BING is only able to
see a certain # of drives, but I know that I've had machines with BING with
more than this # of drives

![:(]({SMILIES_PATH}/icon_e_sad.gif)

Jim

ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

The thing is:

As I said, the Asus BIOS doesn't seem to show (during the boot display) any drives that are attached to the eSATA ports.

So, are you saying since the BIOS doesn't display the drive attached to the eSATA port, that BING won't ever see it?

BUT, if that's the case, why is it that if I remove one of the 2TB internal drives, THEN BING can see the eSATA drive (even though the eSATA drive is still not displayed by the BIOS)?

THAT's the part that is weird to me.

And yes, I am aware that BING is "no longer supported", and I'm really sorry about that... Love BING, and have loved BING for many years.

Thanks,
Jim

TeraByte Support wrote:
> it's going to use whatever drive count the bios says is available and bing
>
> drive will only show up to 8. You should update to BIBM, BING is no longer
>
> supported, but it's also only going to show whatever the BIOS says is
> available.
>
> "ohaya" wrote in message news:4730@public.bootitng...
>
> Hi,
>
> Ok, thanks. I'll try that later, but the machine is going to be tied up
> for
> awhile for some testing.
>
> If anyone from TBU sees that, do you have any idea why what I described in
>
> the original post might be happening? It's almost like BING is only able
> to
> see a certain # of drives, but I know that I've had machines with BING with
>
> more than this # of drives
>
> ![:(]({SMILIES_PATH}/icon_e_sad.gif)
>
> ....
>
> Jim
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

I tried booting both BING and (latest) BIBM from CD. In both cases, with all the internal drives (including 3 2TB drives), and with the eSATA drive plugged in at boot, they only show 2 (internal) 2TB drives and the eSATA drive. In other words, both BING and BIBM are "missing" one of the internal 2TB drives when the eSATA drive is plugged in.

This is even though the BIOS display (and inside BIOS) still sees all 3 2TB internal SATA drives.

So it seems like both BING and BIBM are "missing" one internal SATA drive? What could be going on here?

Thanks,
Jim
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

I went ahead and flashed the BIOS to the newest version (to 3305), and after that, BING can now see all the internal drives, and the eSATA drive simultaneously, so that's good now.

I noticed that even after the flash, but BIOS display at boot still only shows the internal SATA drives though...

Jim