Change GPT disk to MBR.

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Solarlynx

Change GPT disk to MBR.

Post by Solarlynx »

Hello!

I've just installed and updated Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a brand new Lenovo G580, Core i5, 4 GB RAM.

Then I tried to install following programs and failed:

Comodo Time Machine 2.8 - it said "COMODO Time Machine can not initialize operating system information."

CTM 2.9 - the same issue

Rollback Rx 9.1 - during installation in the window "Select partitions you would like to protect:" there is no partitions shown. And I can't go on the installation. Or when I make it in a slightly another way it says "The disk free space is too low to install this software" (actually the system partition is 100 GB)

Keriver 1-Click Restore Free: when activating the Recovery Console it says "The disk0 isn't with a DOS type partitions table!". Then I skipped the activation of the Recovery Console and started to make the first snapshot, it said "FlcSelectPartByLetter failed".

I want to install one of the aforementioned programs (preferably Rollback or CTM). That's why I want to Change the GPT disk to MBR. I tried do it using diskpart from the running Windows and then from the Windows Recovery Disk. And again the same: when I wrote in the command prompt "convert mbr" the DISKPART answered "Virtual Disk Service error: The specified disk is not convertible. CDROMs and DVDs are example of disks that are not convertible."

Then I tried BIBM trial. I've created and booted from the BIBM disk. Then pressed Edit-Partitions. It shows a picture:

EFI system partition_____________100 MiB______EFI System
Microsoft reserved partition______128 MiB______GPT Entry
System_____________________102400 MiB______HPFS/NTFS
Basic data partition__________374311 MiB______HPFS/NTFS

I tried to change every partition with "Change Disk Type" to EMBR and MBR and it replied: "Error. Your request is being ignored because EFI Systems required a GPT".

Could you advise what to do?

I attached some pictures of this hard disk to clarify the story.

Thank you.
Attachments
HD.PNG
HD.PNG (17.27 KiB) Viewed 10434 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (20.8 KiB) Viewed 10434 times
Brian K

Re: Change GPT disk to MBR.

Post by Brian K »

Solarlynx,

Did you intend to install the OS in UEFI mode?
Solarlynx

Post by Solarlynx »

Hi Brian!
I don't want to reinstall my current OS. I want to keep all my two volumes - system partition and data partition intact. I just want to have mbr partition instead of gpt in order to install a time machine. So as I understand all this matter I won't make UEFI mode.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Solarlynx,

Unfortunately I think you have to start from scratch. Disable Secure Boot and UEFI in the BIOS. Then use this tutorial to install Win7 to a MBR drive.

Installing Windows 7 to its Own Primary Partition (video)

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm
Solarlynx

Post by Solarlynx »

OK thank you.