The options Align MBR Ending HS & Align MBR HS WhenTruncated

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
sovv

The options Align MBR Ending HS & Align MBR HS WhenTruncated

Post by sovv »

I do not understand the meaning of the options Align MBR Ending HS and Align MBR HS When Truncated.
What is checked? What aligned?
Maybe change the partition size to change the place of the last sector of the partition?
Or a partition on a disk remains unchanged, and the parameters CHS change in Partition Table?
Or, change the location of themselves Partition Table on the disk?
With sincere gratitude for any help.
sovv

Re: The options Align MBR Ending HS & Align MBR HS WhenTrunc

Post by sovv »

For the option "Align MBR Ending HS".
I understand that there is a correction value fields "Head - End Head", "Sector - End Sector" entry in Partition Table, if the initial values ​​do not match the current disk geometry defined in the BIOS.
The very same partition does not move, and its size does not change.
Is that correct?
sovv

Post by sovv »

All right. I'll ask anyway. What distinguishes these options?
The options "Align MBR Ending HS" and "Align MBR HS When Truncated".
In fact disabling or enabling them both done simultaneously the option "Align MBR for BIOS Auto Mode".
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

These options force the partition's ending head and sector values in the MBR to match the current geometry. Toggling the options do not "move" the partitions (changes would have to be made). Normally, you would leave these at the recommended defaults. If using "Align on 2048 Sectors" option and/or the "Align MBR for BIOS Auto Mode" option you would have both enabled.

The "truncated" option only applies when restoring and checks if the actual ending head and sector values are located within for the current geometry. If they aren't, they are modified for the current geometry (truncated and aligned).