IFL gui 2.77 shutting down

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
tbifan39

IFL gui 2.77 shutting down

Post by tbifan39 »

My laptop shuts down automatically while image my drive. I assume this is an overheating problem, but my system does not seem that hot. I don't have this problem when running Windows. I have checked the bios for a setting and didn't find one. Is there a setting in IFL gui 2.77 or a command/switch I can used when creating the boot disk?
TeraByte Support(TP)

Re: IFL gui 2.77 shutting down

Post by TeraByte Support(TP) »

tbifan39 wrote:
> My laptop shuts down automatically while image my drive. I assume this is
> an overheating problem, but my system does not seem that hot. I don't have
> this problem when running Windows. I have checked the bios for a setting
> and didn't find one. Is there a setting in IFL gui 2.77 or a command/switch
> I can used when creating the boot disk?

There's no setting in IFL that would affect that.

Not sure about the cause, but is this happening while imaging or restoring a Truecrypt drive? Image operations with TC active are more resource intensive than a normal image operation, due one or more TC processes running, in addition to IFL itself.
tbifan39

Post by tbifan39 »

I use TC in IFL to mount drive, this way, I only image used sectors. It will only take approx 30 min to complete, but it shuts down after approx. 15 min. I have checked the vents and fans; everything is fine. Like I said, I don't have this problem except when I run IFL. I have tried starting my laptop and run IFL first thing in the morning, but no success.

P.S. I know I can use IFW to image the drive, but I would rather use IFL, Besides, I would need to use IFL to restore the drive and I am not confident that the process would complete, but the laptop shuts down.
tbifan39

Post by tbifan39 »

UPDATE: I think I discovered the problem. It is the "Encrypt Data" option. I imaged the partition without the optioned checked and no problem. Terabyte may need to look into this to see if there is a bug. I will need to find a separate alternative to encrypt the image file. I am currently looking at AESCrypt and AxCrypt as a solution. I need to find a program that will work outside Windows. I have not tried a restore yet though. I know I will need to mount drive first, like with the backup. Btw, will i need to select "without pre-boot authentication" in TC? I did it when I backup the partition. Can I the the Automatic option when restoring the drive?

Also, when you setup TC on your system, you nee to use Whole drive encryption to be able to backup only used sectors.
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Does that same laptop have the problem of shutting down if you're using "Encrypt Data" and backing up a regular partition (not a TrueCrypt mount)?

When restoring you will have to mount without pre-boot authentication (same as when backing up). TrueCrypt won't be able to mount the partition otherwise.

Automatic selection should work, though you should start/restart IFL after mounting the partition so it can find it. Also, make sure to verify that the partition being restored over is the correct one. If IFL can't find the correct one it may ask to delete all the partitions on the destination drive or display an error message. If correct, it should match the partition when backed up and the summary screen will show the destination as the /dev/mapper/truecrypt# mount.

I've done several tests on a system with just the Windows partition system encrypted. It worked the same as WDE. I'm not seeing the problem of it forcing all sectors instead of used sectors.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

heat issues not uncommon for that model system:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Compaq-Presario-CQ60-overheating-and-automatically-shutting-down/td-p/356215

Also, encryption will cause a lot more CPU usage = more heat.

"tbifan39" wrote in message news:4029@public.image...

UPDATE: I think I discovered the problem. It is the "Encrypt Data" option. I
imaged the partition without the optioned checked and no problem. Terabyte
may need to look into this to see if there is a bug. I will need to find a
separate alternative to encrypt the image file. I am currently looking at
AESCrypt and AxCrypt as a solution. I need to find a program that will work
outside Windows. I have not tried a restore yet though. I know I will need
to mount drive first, like with the backup. Btw, will i need to select
"without pre-boot authentication" in TC? I did it when I backup the
partition. Can I the the Automatic option when restoring the drive?

Also, when you setup TC on your system, you nee to use Whole drive
encryption to be able to backup only used sectors.

tbifan39

Post by tbifan39 »

I never used Encrypt Data option before I installed TC, I did not see the point since my system was not encrypted. I discovered a second program to use to encrypt the .TBI file, afterwards. I have a Mini XP version installed on a thumb drive to so I run the program to decrypt the image file, in case windows won't boot.

I must have been doing something wrong when I encrypt C: only and tried to backup only used sectors. No biggie, I have WDE and I can just select which partition to backup/restore. I have already tested the restore. I just needed to mount the partition to be restore without preboot. i used automatic and it worked just it does without TC. It even preserved the encryption. I did not have to re-encrypt the drive, which I thought I may have to do, since the image file was created unencrypted. Thanks for you help in this matter. Keep up the excellent work on this program.